Chicken Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any idea if mosquitoes affect chickens? We have them bad this year and they are attacking my dogs, I'm just wondering it it could cause issues with the chickens.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
They are horrible here to , especially around the coop. I have no clue if they are bad or not, I'm crossing my fingers that they are just annoying.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Good question I would like to know too!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
West ole virus can be passed that way.. The local government uses chickens here to test for it
West Nile? Oh my that is bad, very bad stuff. Are there any natural products to repel them from the chickens? I will check with my local feed store which stocks alot of organic, natural products and update if they have anything.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The good news is west Nike does not live in chickens long but the local government draws blood from the chickens to test because after they are bitten by a mosquito that carries west Nile the chickens develop antibodies. It does take them about a week to do so and makes it hard to transmit the disease but it is a possibility. I do not know of anyway to repel them other than to make sure there is no standing water for the Mosquitos to breed in and maybe planting some beneficial herbs around the coop and run to help repel them

·
Premium Member
379 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have them horrible in Michigan right now to. I see the Chickens running all over catching and eating them. I am going to buy a bug light my neighbor has one and he claims it helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Woodruff lots of woodruff the chickens won't eat it and it is a natural insect repelant. This herb likes moist areas so if u do plant it around the coop just keep it watered

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can buy plants like lemon grass and plant them in hanging pots and hang them around the yard or In the coop to repel mosquitoes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
West Nile? Oh my that is bad, very bad stuff. Are there any natural products to repel them from the chickens? I will check with my local feed store which stocks alot of organic, natural products and update if they have anything.
Honly heck oh my gosh!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts