Ducks More Duck Thugs...

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Poultry Judge, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Blue Swedish Juveniles.jpg The light Blue Swedish and Dark Blue Swedish were hatched on 7/16 and are now the largest ducks I have. They grow so quickly! The ducks I kept from this year's hatches are: 2 Anconas, 2 Blue Swedish, 1 Cayuga and 1 Muscovy, for a total of six. The Blue Swedish are even tempered very nice dual purpose ducks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I like that you caught two completely different birds in the pic.

That pic isn't showing enough, that has to be one great open area for all of the birds. I'm guessing there's a pond there for the webbed feet ones.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Awww I love ducks! So pretty! I really like the blue Swedish and Cayuga ducks a lot! They’re looking good!

We hope to be able to keep some in the future. I’ll summarize and say urban sprawl has changed our drainage, and we now get enough to easily keep a pond at the bottom of our property! So I’d rather wait til that’s done before adding the ducks... I know they don’t have to have them, as long as you give them enough to swim in semi-regularly (as I understand things anyway) but I’d prefer it be a pond present. Just seems like they’d be happier and more natural with a water feature?

4. Poultry Judge

You can use a wading pool for a couple ducks, it still gets filthy in a matter of minutes. I wish I would have dug my duck pond bigger but it is adequate for six ducks. My farm pond would be perfect but we have the fear of predators which is why I dug the duck pond because it is within their secure perimeter.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. robin416

It's why I never had ducks. If I couldn't build yet another coop to house them in at night there was no sense in having them.

6. Poultry Judge

They are Ducks, they'll just barge in and say "Build us a coop Human!"

Overmountain1 likes this.
  7. robin416

Yeah, no. The Canadian Geese that came to hang out was enough water fowl for me and they didn't cause me any extra work.

8. Poultry Judge

When I worked at Broadview State Hospital the Geese took over the grounds most years. We had a lot of buildings and they would flog people trying to walk between buildings. We often had to walk with nurses and people trying to run the gauntlet, who were afraid of them.

9. robin416

Luckily I only ever had a pair come hang out during the summer. They never bothered any of us, not me, the dogs or the Guineas. The Guineas harassed the Geese often.