• I don't know but I'm sorry! :(

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Floof queen
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 15 week old hen australorp who has in the last week or so became very mopey and just..... sad. She is not laying yet, and the temps and things around the coop have stayed fairly normal other than the new chicken we have been transitioning in. Though even she is in a dog crate. The australorp, (Sydney) has been not getting in the coop at night, laying down in a sunbathing position for more time in the day than when she stands or walks, and she just kind of flops down and eats there and poops there....... no mites, and no respitory issues, but hse seems to avoid walking and putting pressure on her legs. What is wrong??!!! We think it might be Infectious Coryza or perhaps even Mareks. (please no.) Please I need a lot of responces quickly.

Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
1. What does her poop look like?

Coryza IS a respiratory disease. Coryza gives off a foul odor around the head area and you'd know it if you smelled it. Also there would be facial swelling, snotty nostrils, watery eyes, wheezing, sneezing, gurgling, head shaking etc...If you dont see any of that, it's not Coryza nor any other respiratory disease.

2. When she lays down, is there one foot/leg in front of the other (one foot forward, the other foot to the rear?)

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
I'm sorry. I know it's hard but her symptoms were so vague there just wasn't any there there to suggest a direction to take. That's where a vet might have come up with something. And then again, probably not. Chickens are very difficult to diagnose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts