Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been raising chickens for over 8 years and rarely have a broody hen. Last year one went broody and hatched out 3 chicks and none of them survived. Our coop is not an ideal setup for baby chicks.

This year we had one go broody so we moved her and the eggs to our small chicken tractor. She now has 2 babies that are only one week old. Right after we moved her out of the coop we had a second hen go broody and is now about a week away from hatching. I am very concerned about her hatching them out in the coop as they likely will not survive. I worry about the drop out of the high nest box (the feeder hangs just below the one she decided to use) and the large gaps in the chain link fencing allows for baby chicks to escape the run.

I would like to put her in the chicken tractor with the other momma and babies but I am not sure if that is advisable. I can't seem to find any information on this scenario. What should we do?
Plant Tree Natural landscape Motor vehicle Land lot
Plant Tree Land lot Biome Grass
Bird Plant Mesh Fence Beak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably won't find anything because it's all up to the individual hens on how things go. Some just don't care, others take serious umbrage at any interlopers.

There is also the issue that if you move the broody now, she may not return to the eggs.

What was the issue that peeps don't survive in your coop?
We are not 100 percent sure what happened. We had to go out of town the day after they hatched and when we came back the next afternoon all 3 chicks were gone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts