mixed

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by kitz, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kitz

kitz New Member

Hi Everyone I have a few black giant and buff orphington hens and 1 black giant and 1 buff orhington and 1 seabright bantam roosters. I would like to hatch some eggs. Would it hurt if the chicks turned out mixed. Dumb question but i am just wondering. It would be a hassle to separate them. Thanks :confused:

2. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

Shouldn't hurt them... but they won't come out looking like the purebreds that their parents are (unless you got a black giant pair going on.) They'd be chicken mutts (but that's fine if that's what you're looking for.) Pure breeds are created mostly for consistency purposes. People like animals that consistently have the same looks, temperament, and in the case of chickens meat and egg yields. Also with that one bantam roo it's somewhat unlikely but if he gets one of those girls who knows what size the chicks would end up! Either way good luck. :)

3. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

I have several mutt chickens. They are just as sweet and lay just as often as my purebreds.

4. kimberley

kimberley New Member

I love my mutts.. Had a hen hatch 13 last year and they are beautiful birds.

5. kitz

kitz New Member

Thanks for the replies ill give it a try they should come out as good layers

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

And the mutts are the prettiest!!!

7. adorson

adorson Member

I agree! The mutts can be some of the prettiest chickens and each egg that hatches will be a surprise as to what they will end up looking like!

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's just the way to look at it! Isn't nature just wonderful!