Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hens @ 6 months old and 4 @ 2 months old. The older ones are chasing the younger ones and harassing them. I'm pretty sure this is normal. Do I need to separate them till the younger ones are a little older?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
Did you just put them together or intruduce them slowly ?
They were already together when I bought them. However there were a large number of older in the same pen plus the pen was bigger.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Since they came from the same flock, I would let them be for now. But watch them. If they injure the younger ones I would put a divider in run or maybe a cage of sorts so they all can still see each other but not hurt each other. With being in a new home and a smaller flock I'm assuming they are just getting their pecking order in line.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apyl said:
Since they came from the same flock, I would let them be for now. But watch them. If they injure the younger ones I would put a divider in run or maybe a cage of sorts so they all can still see each other but not hurt each other. With being in a new home and a smaller flock I'm assuming they are just getting their pecking order in line.
I think you are right. But, I'm installing the divider anyway. It was in my plans just had not done it. I will be able to adjust the opening to the size needed for the young ones while keeping the big ones on their side only. Once they learn to play nicely I can open the space between them. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts