Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I design mittens out of recycled sweaters and vintage buttons, and aprons using vintage patterns and tablecloths , I sell these at craft fairs and boutiques. I also do stained glass and mosaic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is love to see a photo sometime of your work. I love art and craft stuff. I dabble in a lot of stuff been making earrings here lately and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

·
Registered
743 Posts
I knit and crochet in the winter months, but in the summer time I always used to make jewelery then my site started going on me so had a hard time with small things, and gave up making beaded things. Now I stick with goats milk soaps and working with my chickens through the summer. Keeps me busy as can be.

Would love to see some photos of your mittens.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hildar I am going to have to buy some soap from you one day. You sent any of them?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have lavender and was thinking about making peppermint scented. I use only the real oils from the lavender and peppermint. It's about the only oils that I can work with rose oil I am highly allergic to. And pine and cedar oils make me break out so bad I am scratching for over a month straight. I use to make Wreaths at Christmas in Maine, and made lots of money doing it. However I paid the price for a month. One of our neighbors has goats so we get the goats milk from them to add to the soap.

I would love to have some Lilac oil but it doesn't grow here in NC so I cant make oil from it. I love the scent though.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I was trying to make goats milk soap for a bit, I didn't get my recipe right before she dried up for the year. Unfortunately she was killed a few weeks ago so now I have no milk goats :(
I absolutely love the stuff. I still have a bunch of honey oatmeal lavender, bergamot and coconut oil, and some made with a little yellow flower that's name is alluding me (it's for eczema) made from her milk. The woman I bought her from have me a boatload of her soap and a bunch of recipes so I could sample what my goat produces.

Eventually, I'll get more goats, but I have too many projects on the go at present to think about adding more animals.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was trying to make goats milk soap for a bit, I didn't get my recipe right before she dried up for the year. Unfortunately she was killed a few weeks ago so now I have no milk goats :(
I absolutely love the stuff. I still have a bunch of honey oatmeal lavender, bergamot and coconut oil, and some made with a little yellow flower that's name is alluding me (it's for eczema) made from her milk. The woman I bought her from have me a boatload of her soap and a bunch of recipes so I could sample what my goat produces.

Eventually, I'll get more goats, but I have too many projects on the go at present to think about adding more animals.
I know what you mean. I don't have time this summer for anything extra either, what I am getting is it for this year. I hope over the winter to get rid of the Emus then I will have extra room next year.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Emus?! LOL holy. I'd love emus, they're delicious. I want nothing more to do with them than eating them though! Had to take care of them at a farm I worked at 5ish years ago... Wow.
It was like the scene from Jurassic park with the velociraptors every time I went in their enclosure. Their eggs are beautiful though!

I want mini Nubian goats, which are hard to come by and expensive when you do. The closest breeder is over 7 hours from here and she rarely has doelings. Hubby said no goats this year as we've too much on the plate. I love goat milk, chèvre and soap and found it quite relaxing to sit out in the barn and milk Shannon. I adore goats. We just have a little Boer Pygmy cross now as a pet for the miniature horse. I'm not impressed with Shannon's death. She was a Nubian so I was going to start breeding the Pygmy Nubians myself with her, alas...

·
Registered
168 Posts

Maybe thinking of Calendula? If so, its ones of the easiest flowers to grow and it reseeds readily and comes up early in the Spring. I made soap with somebody several years ago and I've lost the recipe we used. If anyone has a tried and true one using fresh goats milk, please contact me.

Still no pics of mittens from the OP? I wanted to see some.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hildar the lavender sounds nice. I do not know why but vanilla and lavender makes me nauseated. :( I bought a laundry soap once with that sent and it smelled good but at the end of my laundry day I was so nauseated. Never will do that sent again! Lavender alone would be ok. Let me know what you charge for a bar I'd like to try some. I'll tell my friend Marie about it she buys soap from a Heath food store and she may be interested in getting some too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It might be Hencackle? It looks like a dandelion all crushed up in the soap. She gave me the name and I've a mind like a sieve, but I use the soap frequently on my eczema spots and it offers no irritation and is lovely.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hildar the lavender sounds nice. I do not know why but vanilla and lavender makes me nauseated. :( I bought a laundry soap once with that sent and it smelled good but at the end of my laundry day I was so nauseated. Never will do that sent again! Lavender alone would be ok. Let me know what you charge for a bar I'd like to try some. I'll tell my friend Marie about it she buys soap from a Heath food store and she may be interested in getting some too.

I normally get $3 per bar and they are good sized. Not sure how much the shipping will be though but when you send the seeds I will send you off a couple. Pay me or not it's up to you. I have so many bars it is getting to be a soap room in my spare room now. I did a ton for a charity and no one ever bought any. And the poor lady that needed the money lost her home over her medical bills.:( People around here in NC are strange.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts