Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my chickens a bath because they had mites, the mites were gone for a little while but came right back. We washed our chickens with dawn changed the area they were sleeping in and we sprayed their grazing pen with water and changed the grazing area. Does anyone know another way to get rid of mites for small chickens like D'uccles or something we should do different?

·
Registered
289 Posts
briannasellars said:
I gave my chickens a bath because they had mites, the mites were gone for a little while but came right back. We washed our chickens with dawn changed the area they were sleeping in and we sprayed their grazing pen with water and changed the grazing area. Does anyone know another way to get rid of mites for small chickens like D'uccles or something we should do different?
Mites are tough. You need to clean every part of the coop. Literally. These little buggers hide in every crevice and crack imaginable. Try sevin dust or similar as well.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Diatomaceous Earth dust aka DE. You can sprinkle it directly to the chickens and work it into their feathers. Treat as mjs500doo said, every creavice possible with it in their coop and run. Sprinkle it where they dust bathe. DE is safe for them and you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
U could try using pine shavings instead of hay in ur coop if u r using hay. A friend of mine that has had chickens for years told me that mites r more common in hay. Just info for ya.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts