Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you have read and seen pictures of my 1 yr old white Silkie Edith. She is a permanent, very sweet, easy to care for house chicken. She is weak though, has a hard time walking and is very wobbly when she does. If she happens to fall over, she either flaps about or just lays there waiting to be flipped back up. I give her a bath twice a month in the sink and I have tried the Ivo drops on the back of her neck. She does not dustbath. She still has the bugs! I don't understand it considering she does not mix with any of the other chickens. She is always inside. If I do take her out, I carry her out put her down in an area that there are not chickens. I never leave her side. So my question is, what do I do for her? I now she will spend the rest of her life inside and that is fine. The mites though are the problem. I think if I can get rid of them, she will be alot happier. Thank you for any help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The dust bath are what keeps the mites and lice at bay. I would give her a kitty litter pan of sand, dirt, DE, ect and let her dust bathe. Chickens are not equipted to be only indoors, they need nature. The have instincts that tell them to dust bathe and those instincts are what kills the lice and mites.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried her outside and the other chickens are really mean to her. If she falls over and can't get up, she just lays there and they peck her something awful. I just can't have her outside with any of them unattended . They would probably kill her! I do bring her outside with me. I know she needs fresh air. When it gets nicer I will see what I can do about a small run just for her !

·
Yaya
284 Posts
kaufranc said:
Most of you have read and seen pictures of my 1 yr old white Silkie Edith. She is a permanent, very sweet, easy to care for house chicken. She is weak though, has a hard time walking and is very wobbly when she does. If she happens to fall over, she either flaps about or just lays there waiting to be flipped back up. I give her a bath twice a month in the sink and I have tried the Ivo drops on the back of her neck. She does not dustbath. She still has the bugs! I don't understand it considering she does not mix with any of the other chickens. She is always inside. If I do take her out, I carry her out put her down in an area that there are not chickens. I never leave her side. So my question is, what do I do for her? I now she will spend the rest of her life inside and that is fine. The mites though are the problem. I think if I can get rid of them, she will be alot happier. Thank you for any help!
DE, Diatomaceous Earth, is suppose to suffocate mites. Easy to see how this one won your heart. good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
How is Edith doing today? Gosh she's just such a doll! Just wanna scoop her up and snuggle her to bits!!! :eek:

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am constantly squishing her half to death!
I am outside with her right now. Walking better
I don't see anything but I usually don't until I wash her .
She is chatting up a storm out here!

image-3199458955.jpg

Attachments

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gave Edith a bath tonight . She still had a few mites on her but nothing like she did before. So the DE worked! Going to dust her again with it after I blow dry her! Thank you again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have several questions I hope somebody will answer. My hens are sitting on eggs that are due to hatch in 7 or 8 days. Will treatment affect the eggs? Also, I have wood chips in my coop. Do I have to discard them, spray out the coop, and put in new wood chips, or can I just sprinkle DE throughout the coop? Do I really have to bath my girls first? That sounds challenging. Also, what if I get the mites on me? Just wash clothes immediately and bathe? Can I use DE from a pool supply store? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
BarkingChickensFarm
17 Posts
Hi all, here's what I use for mites in the coop. it works great and is organic. Spray bottle of 50% white vinegar 25% water and 25% Murphy's oil soap. Use to spray down your coop including perches, nooks and crannies, then let air dry. This has helped me greatly and Murphy's oil soap can be used as a insect shampoo too, even on dogs and cats, and its very inexpensive too! Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts