Mites..

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by amandahalterman, Oct 6, 2012.

1. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

He of my silkies layer her frost egg and had a prolapse vent, my friend told me she would try to fix her, so she is currently living at her house, but she has been soaking her in the tube to help her bottom, and noticed that she has mites, they all went to her head, we r not sure if she got them because she's been cooped up in a cage because of her bottom issue and she hasn't been able to dust bath or if she always had them and I never noticed, I have other chickens and don't see any on them, I bought DE and sprinkled it on the other chickens, put some in there coop bedding, and put some in there favorite rolling spots, so what my question is, is this something i should be concerned with, or if there is any other info u could give me that would be great!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I had them to deal with when my Ameracauna got sick last month. They seemed appear out of nowhere. None of my other girls blessedly ever got them. I did strip the whole coop right down to nothing. I even vacuumed out every nook, crack, and crevice. Then I probably went overboard and sprayed it down with insecticide for mites including the run. I let the coop & run air out for the day until evening, then dusted with DE before putting the wood shavings back on the floor & in the nest boxes. Kept the window of the coop cracked open for the night too since I had done all that spraying. I read that mites can hide in everything and are very hardy. Think when the hens can't bathe themselves and their immune systems are down, that's when those little buggers show up. I also dusted all my girls a couple times to make sure they were okay. Those mites just fell off my Ameracauna when I dusted her. Ewww. Give ya the creep crawlies don't they.

3. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

Mites are very difficult to fight. Here in Italy many farmers are concerned about them too.I personally use the coal ash and sand of the beach. also use a special dust mite-proof.They grow especially in the wood

4. amandahalterman

Yeah, there just nasty,

5. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

If they have mites, DE alone won't get rid of them. I deal with mites once or twice a year. I try and stay vigilant because they spread quickly. To get rid of them, I use Ivermectin (the injectable kind), one drop per lb on the skin between the shoulder blades. Re-treat to be on the safe side in 10-14 days. Be careful not to get anywhere near the vent of the bird & be careful not to overdose. This will rid the bird of mites, lice, scaly leg mites & all worms (except a tapeworm). I buy the Ivermectin at my feedstore but it is available online from various sources including First State Veternary Supply: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/wormers/ivermectin-1-50ml.html

one more thing: I treat the entire flock if I find mites on just a few birds. I usually also spray down the coops with permethrin spray too and clean the nest boxes out.

If I am are not going to use the chicken as a meat bird, then I also use the Frontline spray that is approved for puppies and kittens (I buy from vet) - I spray on skin just below the vent and under each wing.
    Also sold on First State Vet Supply:
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/insecticides/mites-and-fleas/frontline-spray-8-ounce-bottle.html

Some people use Adams Flea and Tick:
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/insecticides/mites-and-fleas/adams-flea-and-tick-spray-32-ounce.html

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good to know! Thank you for sharing that wealth of info! :)

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Frontline works too and it's much safer.

8. amandahalterman

Can u use these things and still eat there eggs?

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Ivermectin - No. Frontline - yes. Adams - I'd be a little cautious using that on birds anyway. Permethrin and pyrethrums can be pretty toxic stuff. Frontline is Fipronil which is already in the food chain. They spray bananas to keep the fruit flies off them.

10. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

But Frontline is quite expensive. At least here in Italy

11. amandahalterman

It's expensive here in pa too,

12. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

Oh ok.I personally use a pesticide powder,i have already written.

13. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I can't use Frontline (or any product such as), I would not be able to get near the coop without breaking out ...

So I use wood ashes for them to dust with. (remember wood ash can stay HOT for 3 or more days after the fire) I also use cedar chips in the nest box ... I also know people who will put cedar no where near the chickens. ;) To each their own ..

Best of luck.:)

14. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

I also use wood ash,but in the summer mites are too many.. :mad:

15. chicken_coop99

chicken_coop99 New Member

I too use cedar chips it helps the smell and the bugs don't seem to like them either

16. emmahannah

emmahannah New Member

How much frontline would you use on say, a buff orphington, standard? I think mine have them and I'm getting ready to spray them with Poultry Protecter. I also have food grade DE.

I need to make sure I can still eat the eggs so anything I use on the house or nest boxes needs to be nontoxic. Cleaning the house next. Of course it's 95 and 100% humidity now. Ugg!