Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my new hens didn't come to the coop tonight. How likely is it she will survive the night? I am soo worried. The two are struggling to integrate. One is more persistent while the other is skittish (the missing one)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Depends where you live as far as what night time predators you have, whether she knows & is able to perch up high, etc. Can you entice her out of hiding with some treats? Even my newbies learn fast that the rattle of a bucket means treats. Trick that comes in handy at times like this. Chickens can be so stubborn sometimes. =(

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a 5 week old barred rock refuse to go in the coop a few nights ago and we had a frost warning. I had given up after dark and prepared myself for him being gone forever. The next morning he was out under the coop! I have no idea how he survived such a cold night alone but he's been putting himself to bed in the coop since! Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rattle food every feeding but my existing flock has been less than welcoming. This is so stressful. I am in London Ontario ... Well just outside London. I have *****, fox, coyotes. I know she is far more athletic than my fatties. And they fly much better than my original birds. They were thin and haggard looking when I got them. Was hoping to chub them up a bit, just for esthetics not for meat. She is too skittish to even care about food. I can't sleep knowing she is out there. Gonna be a long night, daylight can't get here fast enough

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Its so hard when you have one that is having a difficult time blending in. Had the same problem with my Australorp when I got her. Took me finding the right buddy for her to pair up with before she made it in the coop. Had to keep her separate for quite a long while. Is there one in your existing flock that is more mild than the rest that maybe you could put with her for a bit until she builds up her confidence?

Chickens are pretty smart & resourceful. She'll probably be very happy to come out of her hidey spot this morning to greet you. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have 5 hens that sleep in my Red pine tree every night. We live in the woods with cougars, wolves, coyotes, bears, fishers, owls, ect ect. In the last year I have yet to loose any of the hens from sleeping in the tree. You lady probably found a place to roost away from the others if she's been having a hard time. Let us know if she popped up up this morning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is found, hoping tonight I can get the two in the. Coop before the bullies. Gonna seperate my coop so they feel safer at night and wanna come in

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Glad you found her. :D Sometimes even having a little perch of their own helps. Did that for my girl that had a hard time fitting in. I made it so it was a temporary set up. Now she perches where she pleases with rest of the gang.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Yes, when I tried to mix 6 new into my existing 9 they never mixed, but formed two separate flocks. The top hen of the 9 would stand at the door and personally chase the new 6 out the door and they would go up into trees and scatter to roost. Meaning I had to search them out and pop them into the coop each night. THAT wasn't fun!!

It helped when I had hubby put in a junior roost that fit all 6 of the newbies and they had their own space. Flash, my lead hen, never really accepted the new 6 and picked on them endlessly. Having them free range helped because they went their separate ways in the morning, but when I opened the coop in the morning the newbies were always on the roost when the others were mingling and eating.

It takes time to mix them, it's harder when it's just one by themselves.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well she is MIA again tonight. I tried to close her in the coop with her sister but she is soo skittish. Fingers crossed for her tonight again on her own. Tomorrow I won't rest till I get her

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still can not catch her, was soo close today but she is lightning fast compared to my others. May have to accept the fact that she would prefer to live wild. It will drive me insane with worry but I am out of ideas

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Might have to use a net to reel them in. I've had to do that a few times. I just follow up with a treat in hand then put them in the coop.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Once on chicken takes to the tree the rest will follow. If it worries you badly, you may need to put them in the coop earlier. Right now I have 7 hens and a rooster that take the the tree every night even in the winter they only time they go in the coop is when its -25 out or storming before dark. Last night we had a nasty storm come thru and they all stayed in the tree .

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have one columbian rock x that just disappears at dusk for the last 4 nights. All 16 others go in by themselves. The first night my husband had been doing the nightly duties when he came in and said "I can only count 16" so I go out and I can see who I'm missing right away. He found her under our shed bedded down but couldn't reach her. She appears bright and early each morning but is gone before its even a little dark at night. I'm hoping to catch her before she takes off and put her into the coop one night soon!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't seen her in about a week, assuming she is dead. I can only hope it was quick with little or no pain. At least she isn't living a life of fear and anxiety anymore :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts