Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Can you do a pic of the area you're feeling something solid?

Does her tummy feel swollen or really watery? That's a sign of egg peritonitis.

You might have to pick up some Desitin to protect her skin from the feces that contacts her skin.
I really can't get a picture so if I feel the bony point underneath her vent that's where I thought I felt what could be an egg while I was bathing her in the warm water for 20 minutes or so. But it doesn't seem to be down that low anymore.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The poopy butt could be just from not having the proper mobility, too- we have been experiencing some of those issues. I trimmed her butt up good and then protected it from more w butt paste. (A desitin basically)

Just a thought on that point, it could be either or both causing it. So sorry! GL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I really can't get a picture so if I feel the bony point underneath her vent that's where I thought I felt what could be an egg while I was bathing her in the warm water for 20 minutes or so. But it doesn't seem to be down that low anymore.

And no her tummy doesn't feel swollen or distended in any way.
if the egg was coming down when I soaked her should I soak her bottom again and try to get it out somehow? She has laid only three eggs maybe four since we got her in October.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
These mysteries are really tough. Can't see them to get a good handle on what may be going on so giving the wrong information can cause more harm than good. Her being so young and laying so seldom is not a good sign. You said yolkless egg, did you mean shelless?

You can try calciboost for goats and vitamin D3. The calciboost will give strength to her muscles to push an egg out if one is there. The D3 helps them more efficiently absorb the calcium.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
New video by Robyn Kucinic this foot thing is what I've just realized. One Ben's very easily the other is very stiff. Not sure which way it is supposed to be.

And I mean an egg with all white inside, no yolk inside. a decently tough shell.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I did- it seems like she’s having some form of muscle spasms in the non-bendy leg? At a guess, since we know it’s not injury.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did- it seems like she’s having some form of muscle spasms in the non-bendy leg? At a guess, since we know it’s not injury.
I have no idea. if she was injured she at least would still put up strength on the non-injured leg. I just need to keep her eating and drinking and see what happens for a bit I guess. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for all your replies, everyone. I love this silly bird!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I understand completely and totally! Hydration is #1, with the food a close #2, and then somehow finding the root cause of the issue. At any rate if she’s enjoying the warm soaks they cannot be harming anything for either purpose.

I truly hope you can rally her enough to live a comfortable life. You’ll know if she’s done- you’ll just see it. I can tell you are close to her, so you will. Don’t worry there, but hopefully we can get another shot at this in the morning!
I’m fresh out of ideas; if she has a specific friend who will stay gentle with her let them visit some. It should help keep her less isolated feeling, even though she is.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
OM is familiar with the gentle bird thing. She lets the sibs in of her downed bird and they perch on her head.

She didn't seem painful at all when you moved the stiff leg. If it was an injury you should have heard or seen some reaction from her.

I'm really out of ideas too. Support is number one. I'm pulling for her but that doesn't help her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So if I feel above the pointed bone under her bum, there is a lump. Could be an egg? If so how do I get it out? She was interested in eating today! Not drinking indepently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll try and report back... Thank you, Robin.
Okay I tried it with a vegetable oiled pointer finger. I only got basically past my first knuckle which is about 3/4 of an inch before I could not figure out which way to continue probing since all the tissue was firmly closed. I didn't feel an egg but where I feel the lump seems to be down further anyway.

·
Registered
856 Posts
That sounds positive, maybe it’s moving on through. An appetite is a positive thing too!

Still rooting for your girl!

And what Robin didn’t mention is the bird perching on poor poofy girls head is a tiny Serama chick.... and the poofy girl was letting her. Lol I tried to minimize that activity once it became an issue, and now that my pg is standing on her own again it’s been a non issue. But hands down, she was loving visiting her buddies. So they got an hour or two a day, and anytime nobody could keep an eye on her. Anyway- I’m glad your girl is looking up a bit!

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
If there is an egg trying to make its way down her reproductive tract the calcium and D3 would help her get that done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If there is an egg trying to make its way down her reproductive tract the calcium and D3 would help her get that done.
If this is Mareks, is there anything else that can be done to protect the rest of the flock? What options do I have?. I am returning to think about the hen I lost 3 weeks ago with similar symptoms although I thought it was from a spinal injury.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nothing you can do at this point. They've all been exposed if it is Mareks. Some will recover since they are a couple of years old if it is Mareks but it does leave behind signs of the infection.
Again, a newbie question here, but in feeding misfit last night on my lap, I realized her neck is super s shaped. She can move it felt and I stretched it out without her being in pain or anything, but if an S shake normal for a Silkie?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts