Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Bantams? I've been told they are great, but I want confirmation before I buy.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The only bantams I have right now are Silkies. Personally I am not thrilled with them, I prefer standard size fowl. BUT if space is limited , bantams would be a good choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really depends on what you want them for. I have Seramas and they are pretty much worthless. They lay sporadically and lay tiny eggs. But, they are very cute and personable. I also have a cochin hen, who is forever broody, but once again, cute as a button and very sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
i have 3 bantams. a silkie a clydach clocker and a light sussex. they only lay small eggs ( mine are not old enough yet) but are great fun. if you want chickens that are cute and funny then go for bantams. if you want them for eggs then dont.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just about any breed of standard size chickens also have a bantam breed.
They come in all colors and styles.
They are mostly for looks. Some will lay but not like the standard breeds and the eggs are small.
They are not meat birds as they are too small.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
We had bantam's (see my avatar) for a couple years and decided against them. They weren't very friendly and a couple were downright aggressive. The one thing we DID like about them was they're commitment to their babies; very protective. Not only did they sit on their own eggs but also the eggs of any other bird that would lay in the boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
i find my bantams are very friendly. especialy the clydach. and the silkie likes being handled.

·
bantam
11 Posts
If you want them for pets and entertainment, you can't beat bantams.

Unless you eat a lot of eggs, the bigger egg laying chickens can lay more than you can eat. Bantam eggs are small so a three egg omelet becomes a nine egg omelet.

The thing I find most interesting about raising the bantams is getting a wide variety and letting them hatch babies. If you leave the eggs in the nest they will set and raise chicks like crazy. Once the chicks start getting feathers you can see features of the other chickens in them. Specifically one rooster and one hen. It doesn't matter which chicken hatches the eggs, they all had a hand in laying the clutch. Hens typically use the same nest box so I go in and mix the eggs between the boxes. When they hatch you have the widest variety possible. The easiest way to watch a trait show up in the chicks is have a Salmon Faverolles or two in the flock. They have an extra toe so when a chick shows up with an extra toe you know a Sammy had some involvement.

Its not the only thing I do so my life is not totally boring!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does anyone have a comparison photo of a Bantam egg vs. an easter egger or such.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just recieved our Olandsk dwarfs from Greenfire Farms and they are awesome. We will be offering them in Spring 2013. I just started a Olandsk Dwarf group on here today called Olandsk Dwarf Society. I have had several bantams of other breeds in the past and to me they make great pets.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
We just recieved our Olandsk dwarfs from Greenfire Farms and they are awesome. We will be offering them in Spring 2013. I just started a Olandsk Dwarf group on here today called Olandsk Dwarf Society. I have had several bantams of other breeds in the past and to me they make great pets.
just googled them, wow great looking birds and pretty rare as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love my little cochin hens. Two were hand raised, and RUN to my husband when he goes in the yard. We have two Silkies as well, that we hatched from eggs. They are very friendly, but are not the smartest. I won't have silkies again because it rains so much here, and they should really be under a covered run on bad days. One thing to consider is that they really like jumping, and can jump fairly high, so a short tractor wouldn't be the best. This is Broody Judy, my smallest, and most beloved hen. My cochins have a better personality than my Marans.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am totally jealous!

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
Bantys are available in just about any breed you can imagine, I have 2 Red Cochin hens, they both lay daily, I save their eggs and every 2 weeks I pickle them. An extra treat for me ! Compared to my 3 EE hens eggs, one is just a bit bigger than the Bantys eggs, but the other 2 EE hens lay extra large green/blue eggs. My little red hens are super sweet, and a lot of fun. I also have 45 Banty babies from 2 weeks to 8 weeks old, in every color imaginable. I'll be looking to find homes for most of them before long, they were all free I just had to catch the little boogers, the mamas were really good looking hens, black Cochin, dominecker, old English game, and a laced fancy looking hen... But hey !! Free cant be beat..

·
I sell chicken aprons!
15 Posts
I agree with the others, if you want eggs, don't go with bantams. If you're looking for a novelty then bantams are fine. I've had a bantam cochin, 2 bantam frizzled cochins (roosters), a seabright, a japanese (rooster) & a silkie.
The silkie I had was awesome. Very sweet. The seabright was so-so, japanese was horrible, frizzled cochins were really really great comic relief. I'm not sure if the same applies to female frizzled but both my roosters were a trip to watch!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Next spring I might try a layer bantam like a RIR or EE.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts