Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new large flock added to my 2 existing hens. I still have fog crates in the coop although the last 2 nights haven't used them. My hubby gets up with sun and opens the coop door right away. I'm afraid too much time cooped together will cause the 2 hens to attack again. Everyone seems happy. The chicks still flee in the run and the hens are certainetly on the top of the pecking order. I wouldn't say they have mingled perfectly but they re working it out. Skiddish to take the crates out. I feel that if the hens go nuts the littles at least have obstacles to hide behind or in! There will be 8 more chicks to add next week... Can't wait for thi part to be over an have one big happy flock!!!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Leave the crates in there. If you need them for sick birds or new additions they are already in place. I have two very big crates in my coop that have hay just in case someone needs some safety.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kept them in. My EE's went out today and they are in one for safety. The ducks think its their bed so they are in the other one. When the EE's get a bit bigger and can mingle safely in the coop with the others, one will come out. The shed is right next to the coop/run so it won't be trouble to get back out if need be. One will stay though as the ducks have claimed it. And it gives them a nice comfy spot to sleep without poo falling from the sky onto them. The other 6 chicks are in the coop on their own. They found one of the other roosts not claimed by the 2 hens! Boy were the hens peeved to see them up at eye level!!! One of my BR's flew up to the highest rafter and snuggled in. So funny. She was then higher than the hens who squawked and protested to no avail!! Made me giggle!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
They are so funny aren't they! I got such a kick out of watching my girls take in the 2 ducks this Spring. The ducks would go running to them to say hi and the chickens were running away just as fast! It was hilarious to watch. Now they all hang out together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts