Tennessee Mille Fleur D’Uccle

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by Overmountain1, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

That is sooo awesome Dan! They’re so cute. Adorably so. Maybe Kimmi can let go of just one more. A pair is still easier to train than a trio!

2. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Puppies seem to pick up bed behaviors from each other making it more difficult to reinforce good behaviors. We kept two puppies last time around and they're just now getting to be well-behaved dogs at six months.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. danathome

This is Snickerdoodle. By two months she was trained and a well-mannered dog.

Snicker doodle.jpg p7.jpg

Overmountain1 likes this.
  4. danathome

Thanksgiving Day, we spent at her Mom's and didn't get home until after dark. Driving in we saw the royal palm tom roosting on the tip top of the garage. How do you get a turkey off the roof? Simple, just tell it to come down. And that's what Kimmi did, and RPy came down. If I hadn't been there I would not have believed it. The Peas were wandering around in the dark and I've not the slightest idea why. The ducks had chose to sleep in the wood lot. It was not fun looking in the dark for a bunch of birds that apparently went wild while I was away.

The next day I found my Porcelain d'Uccle cockerel looking near death. Happily, he is looking much better today; crop half full and putting on weight.

It seems that every time I go to the In-Laws there's a mess when I get home. The price for leaving home I guess.

5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

They go feral when you're gone!

6. Poultry Judge

Your turkey was just doing weather vane duty! That's what mine do. They think they're big stuff when they're stomping all over the roof!

7. danathome

Every morning the turkeys can be heard stomping. The big thing lately is for the flock to go higher each day in the big pines in our backyard. No turkey eggs yet and no further matings that I've seen (they do seem to wait for an audience) so perhaps the hen has had a change of heart.

8. Poultry Judge

They do exactly that with the pine trees here, work their way up and then back down!

9. danathome

I guess mine are lazy in that they do work their way up, but then fly down.

10. danathome

This is a bird where I was wrong when I sexed it. This picture is at 17 weeks of age. When she was three months old her comb was as it is in the picture. Most pullets do not have comb and wattle development until they are close to egg laying age. As such I believed her to be a he; cockerel. Now at 17 weeks she shows no hackle or saddle feathering of a rooster-a pullet. She is a golden neck d'Uccle. gn5.png

11. danathome

At what age do d'Uccle start to lay eggs?

12. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Huh, I don't know. I never paid any attention. But that doesn't mean a lot, the one Silkie I couldn't sex until she laid an egg didn't lay until she was 8 months old.

13. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Unsure- I have seen everything from 19-28 weeks w a few outliers. My girl finally started laying around 25 weeks. And she’s a champ.
    Glad you got everyone straightened back out Dan!

14. danathome

15. Poultry Judge

Nice bird!

Overmountain1 likes this.