Tennessee Mille Fleur D’Uccle

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by Overmountain1, Sep 21, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Active Member

When I was teaching the administration asked all the teachers in the system to not have Facebook as there was too great a chance to have problems with the students and their parents. It rather stuck with me. Sometimes I have thought it might be a good idea... but, no. Kimmi is on Facebook and tells me I wouldn't like it. She has never said why...

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Ugh. The Facebook. I, of course, used it from its conception, as I am of that age group... I liked it for the first several years or so, and it slowly turned to more ‘buy this’ no ‘buy that!’ And I slowly just quit bothering. I keep it for use of logging into things and the messaging system. That’s it. And we have business pages but rarely use those; mainly we use Instagram there. I digress.

I miss writing letters! I do I do!! Me and all my friends wrote mounds of notes back when, and we all still have them! Maybe not all, but we have many. They’re hysterical to read now!

Texts- yeah now that I did take to very well! I prefer a text over most forms of contact. Perhaps I talked on the phone for too many hours growing up. Idk.

eBay- don’t even get me started. I can’t stand that monopoly!! And it is now. I know there are a few of that type of site, but none of them can outlast the monopoly of eBay-PayPal. And their fees eat you alive!! I don’t understand how some people ever possibly make a profit. But anyway. Not a fan altho I use it as needed.

Dan I didn’t know you used to teach- my mother in law taught for 51 years, and finally retired a little over a year ago! Heck of a woman. She taught at the high school level all those years.

Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

4. robin416

More and more are having issues with their employment because of what they put on FB or Twitter. Yes, I'm on Twitter. It's very effective for reaching out to companies when you can't get satisfaction any other way.

5. Overmountain1

You are so right. It is something my kids have been taught at school since they started using computers, and for that I’m grateful! And then I beat it in their heads that they should never ever ever post or send anything they wouldn’t want me to see; I figure if it’s bad enough they wouldn’t want me to see it then it’s bad enough it shouldn’t be done!! Lol but they do know to protect themselves which is so good. Their dad being a cop helps with this, but also has kept him from having an account for years and years; he finally got one for same reasons as me (log ins and giveaways.) He touches it almost never.... but again, you are right!

I also don’t think it’s fair for employers to get on Facebook and see you doing something dumb 10 years ago and consider it a fair judge of character. It’s not, bc most people grow and change. There needs to be some type of standard used imo. Don’t know how but hey! It’s a good thought.

6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I guess I'm nostalgic about letters for the reason that they are physical artifacts which represent a certain time or place.

7. danathome

danathome Active Member

I taught junior high science, art, and ancient history for twenty-six year. Then my health forced me to retire sooner than I wanted. If not for poor health I'd still be teaching; I loved being around the children.

8. Overmountain1

That’s awesome! Thank you for teaching for that long, for what that is worth- I know it is an often thankless job.

9. danathome

danathome Active Member

Never thankless when it came to the students; adults... that's a different story and I won't go there.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  10. Poultry Judge

We were never allowed to be involved with FB in state or county government. Some people did anyway but with my court assessment work, I certainly didn't want patients tracking me down in any fashion.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  11. Overmountain1

Believe me- I understand. My husband worked some really big cases in the past, involving some really very nasty people.... The thing of it is... If you heard my last name you’d really understand; There was only one other sharing our last name in a city of 3.5 million. It’s so hard for us to hide it’s close to impossible, so we kinda had to give up... not that I’m implying you were doing the same exactly, but I do know about trying to stay off radar!
    but you’re absolutely right, my husband wasn’t even allowed an account for a lot of years- I’d forgotten that part! He wouldn’t have anyway bc of what he was doing, but he couldn’t either way.

12. Carol B

Carol B New Member

Charlie is so stinkin' cute! Never seen this breed before but very interesting. I know it's hard to part with him. Sounds like he has a good home, that helps tons! Would love to see him all grown up.

13. robin416

Not only are they cute the little things have one heck of a personality. Very human friendly, at least the females are. If anyone ever offers you some d'Uccles jump on the offer. You won't regret it.

14. danathome

danathome Active Member

I will be sure to post a picture when he matures.

15. Overmountain1

Thanks Carol! He IS! He’s a super sweet and fun little boy. We have one little girl that started it all, she’s at least half D’Uccle, and what made us want more! Like Robin said, they’re incredibly personable and friendly. She rides around in my sons arms all the time- and loves it. Jackie’s missing the muff and beard that ‘make’ a D’Uccle and not a booted bantam, but her other features do line up w the Ds. We got more Ds bc of her, but we got the porcelain color instead. They’re also incredibly sweet, and all three of mine are borderline timid, but at the same time as cooperative as we could ever wish for!
    Here is Jackie, and some of the porcelain babies too! Charlie is in one I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.
  16. robin416

I do miss my little D's. They were the sweetest birds of all those other breeds I raised.

17. Poultry Judge

Thanks for the pics, they are sweet!

18. Overmountain1

Aww! Your little boy looks so much like mine (of course) TinyRoo is the sweetest lil guy! And this is my Dottie. She is, well tied for the sweetest. looks like my only Tiny pic is right after bath earlier this week! The others are older.
    Your little girl is soooo sweet! Just precious- I can’t wait to see what comes of her and Charlie. Beautiful babies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Poultry Judge

Oh my goodness, too cute!