Chicken Forum banner

metacam

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  robin416 
#1 ·
Hello, I have an old girl, close to 9 years old. She was limping and I took her to the vet. He said "arthritis" and gave her metacam. She has been on it for 2 months and it really helped her. the vet won't refill her prescription without another exam and xrays plus other tests. I would rather not do this and don't know what to do now. any suggestions? I don't want her to suffer but at this time I don't have the funds for extensive tests. I'm sad but in a bind.

#4 ·
yes, the vet checked her feet and legs. he manipulated her legs and feet too. She is a very large chicken so maybe that contributed to her issues. The vet made sure she wasn't laying and then gave her the metacam. She is in a coop with 4 other chickens. How would you suggest giving her the water and aspirin? Two chickens are laying and the other two are as old as she is and are not laying.
Thank you for your suggestion!

#7 ·
yes, the vet checked her feet and legs. he manipulated her legs and feet too. She is a very large chicken so maybe that contributed to her issues. The vet made sure she wasn't laying and then gave her the metacam. She is in a coop with 4 other chickens. How would you suggest giving her the water and aspirin? Two chickens are laying and the other two are as old as she is and are not laying.
Thank you for your suggestion!
I have one morbidly obese roo who is only about a year old but is getting lame due to leg/weight issues.

#8 ·
My girl is a Brahma so I expected her to be large. I didn't know chickens could get obese! She doesn't seem to be any bigger than she has been for many years but I'm not sure either. She is not aggressive and I haven't noticed her "hogging" the food so I didn't think there was a problem with eating too much. Oh boy! I'm learning all the time. :)

#14 ·
OK, it's time to break out Goliath's pic.

PCM, he's a sight to see.

PCM, what about some warm oatmeal? Or a little yoghurt?
Here is Goliath in action, a few inches of vertical lift, very little forward motion. He is gentle and crows on command. It's interesting you mentioned oatmeal. I have been making a rice cooker pot of it everyday as a treat for my birds.

Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

Reactions: pcm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.