Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I get a poopy egg now and then. Like a friend speckledhen used to say "some have Teflon back there and some have Velcro." That's the truth. I always wonder why some chickens are so clean back there with all that fluff.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Our little araucauna/silkie mix had that problem. And her rear was always dirty. I've started trimming her feathers back there. Made a big difference.

She is deaf in one ear. Is kinda "slow" and doesn't preen like the other girls. We call her our "special" girl.

She came from a byc member along with an araucauna rooster and hen. I'm so glad I took all 3. She is completely dependant on them to take care of her. They lead her to food, water, and the roost. If she gets lost, she cries until one of them comes to her. She's a really sweet girl.

They also protect her as she is very low in pecking order. I wouldn't have believed chickens could bond but they have.

·
Registered
516 Posts
All i can say is she only gives me 2 or 3 eggs a week. But she is more of a pet. We won't eat her. She's 2 yrs old and on the retirement plan. Even hubby loves her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts