Geese Meet my geese - Tuffy and Lucy

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Bird_slave, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Hi! I'm new here. I wanted to share a pic I took this week of my two big babies, Tuffy and Lucy. Tuffy the gander is a tufted american buff and Lucy is a mystery, but we believe she is a brecon buff (she was supposed to be an american buff too). They will be 8 months old on November 4th. I'm eagerly waiting for them to mature and (hopefully) Lucy to go broody so I can have some more of these wonderful birds.
    I have three pools total for my waterfowl. A large one, a medium sized one and a tiny one for the pair of call ducks. Tuffy and Lucy prefer the tiny one. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Bird, they are beautiful! I understand your love.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh my gosh bird_slave, they're gorgeous! They look so happy!!! I'm so glad you posted their picture!

4. rob

rob New Member

wow, great birds, are they easy to keep ?

5. luckyridgefarm

luckyridgefarm Junior Member

6. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Once you get them past the brooder stage, they are extremely easy to keep. Like ducks, they can make a total mess of a perfectly clean brooder in no time. Fortunately, unlike chickens, they don't need heat and a brooder for long. These two along with the ducks moved to their coop at 3 weeks old; no heat. Food was kept available round-the-clock for the first two months. After that you can wean them down to a couple of feedings a day or do like I do and just leave a pan of feed in the yard where they will be spending their day. I don't feed them in the coop at all, which cuts down on the mess by about 90%.
    The routine now is to fill their pools in the morning, fill a large pan with their feed to leave in the yard and go out to open the door to their coop. Without guidance, they follow their usual path to the fenced yard and are good to go all day. About two hours before sunset they will be waiting for me at the garden gate, knowing it's time to be allowed out of the yard to free range. At dark, they head into their coop.
    I have both the geese and the ducks trained to be herded and they know the walking stick I use. If they see the stick, they know it's time to follow me.
    Ducks and geese love routines and learn them very quickly.

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Thanks for the compliments. I do love my water babies. :)