Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heart dog died 4/15 .

I wasn't looking but this cat came across my fb from a friend who posted his pet finder page. I couldn't get him off my mind,so I filled out an app and was approved the same day .
I picked him up saturday, he is baby gated in our bedroom so he can decompress and settle before meeting our remaining 2 dogs. (Both are good with cats and critters)

He was a show and stud cat and his owner got in over her head .

He is 11 years old and super skinny from being in the shelter for 2 months. He should be 18 lbs but is around 10.
He is helping me deal with the sudden loss of Rufus .

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Rufus. They take a chunk of our hearts when they go. Hope the new guy settles in quickly and helps to ease your loss.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It's been very difficult for me losing him

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I just asked my SIL last night why we keep doing this since we know our hearts are going to be broken much too soon. Her answer was because they give us so much when they are here. She's right. I don't regret having the boys here. The one that still hurts is the loss of my Keepher who was my heart too. So, I know you're going to hurt for a while. At some point it does get easier to think about them when they were in our lives.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks robin, yeah it hurts and sucks.. I did everything and took him everywhere with me. . Kashi is a typical cat and is taking his time settling in. He is definitely helping me deal with this

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Sorry you lost your heart dog recently. I lost mine in 1996. I cried for a year, and hubby and I had 2 more dogs, and they were loved, but not heart dogs. I think I have another heart dog now. Here we go with the spoiling again!

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Seminole :).

It sure isn't easy . My last heart pet was my cat Princess, I had her for 18 years, she was my heart cat and her death was very difficult. Took my a long time to be able to deal with it. .

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He Sleeps in a bed in the sink at night lol...

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Had his vet appt. Is 11 lbs and needs to gain 4lbs. Is missing most of his teeth, stool sample negative for psrasites.blood drawn and sent out to make sure he doesn't have a thyroid problem. Got probiotics and meds to help with the diarrhea ,vet thinks it's just stress and should get better.
He is relaxing on top of Rufus's crate

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Love that second pic in the sink. Cats have a thing for sinks but I don't think I've seen one make it their bed.

Rufus? One of the dogs? How is that going?

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rufus passed away 2 weeks ago. I never took his crate down(I am having a hard time with him going so suddenly so all his stuff is still around). The cat like's to hang out on and in his crate.

I put a bed in the sink and he rotates sleeping in the sink and on a cat bed I put on top of Rufus's crate

The other 2 dogs met the cat and did great.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I'm sorry your Rufus died. Our 18 year old dog was euthanized last year, and this year our 12 year old dog was euthanized. I didn't really want another dog but decided I've always wanted a standard poodle and the other two dogs were more hubby's than mine and hubby didn't want a foofoo poodle and I got one anyway thru a breeder. Now he does nothing but kiss the dog. He didn't kiss the others, LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Seminolewind, I'm so sorry you went thru it too.
We have 2 other dogs, but they are more my husband's then mine. I can't even think about another dog right now, I am still not ready and I don't know when I will be . The cat is mine and he prefers me. I am to wait for thr right dog to show up.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love standard poodles. They are super smart and very versatile

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol kashi is but Sadie isnt.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So kashi had surgery Monday to remove his spleen. An ultrasound showed he had a mass in it. He has had diarrhea since I adopted him in april. I did alot of research on the surgery , and decided to do it when he started having accidents. I'm so glad I did this, today for the first time he had a solid poop. He is recovering good in Moe's crate until his staples come out in another week. I am waiting for the results to come back from the mass and spleen testing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts