Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting 20 meat birds. (I've never had meat birds before) do they roost? And does any one know where we can get 100 pounds of feed cheep or some what cheep? In Vermont?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Um I don't have meat birds but I'm pretty sure tractor supply has some feed of some kind
Sorry i don't have a lot of info
Olivia

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, meat birds roost just like laying hens. You might try a local tractor supply for feed purposes. What type of meat birds are you getting exactly?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Talk to buckeye. He does meat and dual purpose birds. He's in Ohio but would be able to steer you in the right direction. He's been doing meat for many years. Shumaker Farms is also a great resource.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
They're both crazy busy with hatching and shipping eggs and chicks. Might take a while for a response. It's not you, it's that they're just so busy right now.

·
1,466 Posts
Does any one have meat birds?
we have been messing around with a few DP buff orpingtons
we put the extra roos in a coop inside the woodshed
we give them high protein game bird pellets once they get some size to them (at about 8 weeks)
however if you have some of those cornish X birds they are probably raised differently.
you can also do a quick search for "how to raise meat birds"
i'm sure there are a number of different ways to do it & still get good results

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have my first Cornish cross growing now, only going on 2 weeks,, and they are starting to dwarf my 4 week olds. Picking them up, the feel like jello ish...... I have them on grower, but cheap doesn't come into the equation.. I am in Texas, good luck, that is gonna be a big butcher day for you!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
image-2662321733.jpg

These are from last week...

piglett said:
can we get a pic?
I have some on my thread as well "new meat birds". But I need to get a new one for this week, those guys grow fast, I just need them to feather out some so I can get them on some grass!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I got one like that at Agway. They told me buff orp but I'm sceptical. She's much smaller than the BR and has smaller feet and beak too. I'm wondering about banty and I just don't have confidence in buff orp. Now she could just be like 7-10 days behind the others so seems smaller. But I know orps are pretty big chickens and I just don't see her getting that big. I'll have to post some pics so you guys can throw out your opinions. Lol

·
1,466 Posts
i see 1 roo in the pic, i have had buff orpingtons that were small & even stayed small once they were adults

1 - 20 of 21 Posts