Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else raise mealworms for their chickens? I just started today. I have read a lot of conflicting info online. Just wondering if anyone here has done it?

·
chicken bum
136 Posts
kahiltna_flock said:
Does anyone else raise mealworms for their chickens? I just started today. I have read a lot of conflicting info online. Just wondering if anyone here has done it?
Id be interested in doing that too

·
172 Posts
I bought 1,000 worms last month and keep them in a plastic tub in the garage. I have had a hot pad under the tub for awhile but unplugged it yesterday as it is getting warm here. I bought a large bag of wheat bran and cooked it at 220 in the oven till hot throughout to kill any eggs that were in it. Every 5 to 7 days I replace the potato slices to keep rot away. I now have lots of black bugs running around. (In the tub.)
Planning on starting a second tub so that I can harvest one while the other grows out.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got one of the 3 drawer totes. I had read you should separate the eggs from the worms and separate the beetles. A drawer for each. Now I have been reading you don't have to do all that work. I read the beetles will eat the larvae?

·
172 Posts
I read the beetles will eat the larvae?
I don't know if that is true or not, but have also read that it is not true. Either way, keeping them separate seamed like a lot of extra work since I'm not into raising bugs. Just into feeding my birds "Chicken Candy!".
I would love to, but we have zero space left in the house for doing and no outdoor buildings.
I saw one too many examples while researching this where dormant eggs of unwanted bugs hatched and came pouring out of the container. :eek: That's why I cook my wheat bran before adding it to the bin. I think if that happened to me while keeping them in the house my wife would...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am not going to bother either. Honestly, the thought of separating them grosses me out! Actually, the whole process does! I am only doing it because they love them and they are so expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I used to raise them for my reptiles. Bugs are good. You're on your way. I use oatmeal but I'm not an expert by any means.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I'm setup to raise crickets (I have a couple of containers and some cardboard egg crates) but that's really just to supplement if access to chicken feed ever gets to be a problem (I'm a prepper).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts