Mealworm Colony

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by robopetz, Oct 22, 2012.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Just started my mealworm farm today. So that by the time our lil Sophie is big enough to consume worms she will have them readily available and won't have to spend a bunch each time at the pet store for a bag of worms, ill just have my own constant supply. Anyone else raise their own mealworms?

Look, they went crazy for those carrots! Lol

Attached Files:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I used to raise them for my reptiles. Banana peels work well too and apples.

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Oh cool, I'll have to keep banana peels in mind as well. We tried giving a worm to Sophie just a while ago and she was very interested in it but just kept playing with it. I think it was too big. Lol

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Not mealworms but red wigglers.

Attached Files:

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I would like to raise those too.

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Cool! Too messy for me to do haha..

7. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Not messy at all...

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Cog, would you send me starter worms?

9. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Wow! I thought the two pieces of carrots I put in there would've lasted awhile. Checked on them today and the carrots are no where to be found!! Gees! They either are piggies or were just super thirsty.

10. robopetz

robopetz New Member

How do you start and maintain those wormies?

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I used to keep mine in oatmeal in a plastic tub. Then I'd add some goodies for them to eat like banana or apple slices. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

12. robopetz

robopetz New Member

The red wigglers?

13. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Slice a potato and throw in there. They LOVE it!!!

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes mam.. In the spring I'll hook you up sister !!

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Robopetz, it's really easy just plenty of room and plenty of Bedding materials keep the humidity and moisture high, the bedding media wet but not muddy and feed them regularly. They do the rest. I'll get a link to ya. Easy to follow directions on making a cheap worm bin capable of housing thousands of red wigglers, or you can google it and find what fits your situation. You can start with a pound and in 2-3 months they will more than double, I have different bins for different ages, and keep the biggest and most able to reproduce in the big tubs. You'll be surprised !

16. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Sounds fun! I'll keep this in mind though as I dont need no worms anymore. I still have my mealworms and theres a few beatles in it so that is coming along well. But, since Sophie's passing I have no use for them. Thank you!

Thanks I have to try that as we always have some potatoes around the house.

17. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Potatoes actually last longer. It's a good thing I kept my worms cause now I have another silkie chick.

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

So happy for you! Better luck this time I hope!

19. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Been doing great! Spoiled like crazy, she wants to sleep with me every night. So I have to put her to bed nightly then she'll sleep in her house.

20. PhatJack

PhatJack New Member

We feed our mealworms carrots as well. We usually put 2 whole carrots in each tub and within 3 hrs the entire carrots are gone! They do eat a lot. We also breed superworms and they are fast eaters. They will eat 2 carrots in half the time as mealworms!

I wouldn't do banana peels or apples if you don't have that many mealworms that can consume it within a day. They have too much moisture and can start to breed mold in your colony.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can help you with any questions you may have.

By the way we have starter kits in case anyone would like to start their own breeding colony.