Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few months ago but my new ladies (7 ms now) did not want to sleep in the coop.

I got another coop and they did not want to sleep in it and started sleeping in original coop…for a while.
I was monitoring to make sure all was well and caught one of my other ladies pecking on one of the babies. I decided to get a coop like the one they were used to sleeping in.
Problem solved….until last night.
Something told me to check on them as we have had below freezing for the last week and have been hearing coyotes.
Daphne (Buff Orpington) was sleeping in the tree.
I wasn’t going to freeze while trying to get her down and left her there.
Tonight, same thing.
I have the coops back to back, so they have plenty of space. Elvira sleeps in the nesting area (I have closed the door to prevent this) but she goes in thru the other coop to get there.
I can’t afford another coop.
What can I do?

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
Lock them in the coop for several days. Force them to learn to sleep there.

This is where having an enclosed run is so helpful. It allows you to keep control while they are out in the fresh air.

BTW, how big are the coops and how many birds are sleeping in them? Remember, it's 4 sq ft per large fowl of open floor space. You can't count the space taken up with feeders, waterers, roosts or nest as open space.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for the help.
if i understand correctly, you are telling me to put Daphne in the coop for a few days. I will try to catch her to do this. what would make her sleep in there and then not sleep in there? Are chickens smart enough to know when it is too cold for them to sleep outside?

I have enclosed recent pics of my babies and ladies as well as the coop. Daphne is the buff.
Bird Phasianidae Beak Chicken Galliformes

Grass Outdoor furniture Phasianidae Gas Flooring

Furniture Green Rectangle Wood Bag

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
That won't work at all. The coop is far too small for the four of them. It's probably why you're struggling to get them to go to the coop at night to sleep.

Their natural instinct is to roost. It's probably why Daphne is taking to the trees.

Since all are giving you problems going up at night, all need to be locked up. But not in that. I don't see any openings for natural light and it being so small would probably have them going after each other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts