Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... Hope everyone is well. I did serch for any posts on this but didn't find any. Please do share link to any helpful discussions. Thank you.

One if my young girls had egg shell hanging from her. I noticed the egg in her coop, no other shell.

The part of the shell hanging out has dropped off her. She's not looking too comfortable so the rest is still in her.

She's currently still eating. Pooping.

I gave her an Epsom bath but think I could do another one?

Any advice or useful links will be appreciated. My vet isn't available today, so if anything I can do for her now, that would be great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Robin, thanks for getting back to me

Haven't located more that the tip of the egg shell so assuming it's still there.

I've just health checked her, her crop feels rock solid. Like a small hard ball. Impacted I'm guessing? Could this be connected. I've removed food. And advice is to feed olive oil and massage crop to try break it down?

If needed t gone by tommorow. Then vets

·
Administrator
24,133 Posts
When you want to remove food is overnight. That way there's at least 8 hours for the crop to clear. I don't think by removing it now will do much for you.

So, you have checked internally? If it's still in there and you can't do more than touch it, I would leave it. You don't want to cut any tender tissues. She might pass it on her own.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
If she tolerates it well, another sit in an epsom salt bath might not hurt.

Reactions: LoxiKat

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you want to remove food is overnight. That way there's at least 8 hours for the crop to clear. I don't think by removing it now will do much for you.

So, you have checked internally? If it's still in there and you can't do more than touch it, I would leave it. You don't want to cut any tender tissues. She might pass it on her own.
Yes. Our girls fast in their roost every night. That's why I thought it odd, as she has this mass there and hasn't eaten much today?

I'll have her at vets tommorow. As with Hilda her impacted crop was related to her egg laying issues, and the blockages from those problems made it hard for her crop to clear.

I feel implant time may be here for Matilda..X

Thanks again. I'll keep her cosy and comfy today and vets tommorow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forget about our time differences. If you can, let the vet deal with the crop in the morning if it's still full.
Will do..... Thanks..... I'll let you know how it goes...

Thankfully at the moment she is still walking around, and managing to pass poop and fluid... So not completely blocked.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's really good to hear and means a lot. I've learnt a lot here... (Still feel like such a newbie!)

She's much better after a day of TLC... Fingers crossed! She's such a lil powerhouse.

Love her.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you did take on one huge challenge by adopting X battery hens. They do need special handling and it appears you have the knack for it.
Thank you. That's really good to hear, as most of the time I feel I have no idea what's going on or how to help them! Just scrambling through the info, others experiences, and help of the vet. They are so worth it though....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Matilda had managed to pass through some of what was blocking her up. She's a bit better and the hard lump.in her crop is smaller.

Waiting from a call back from vet. For an appointment tommorow. A little concerned as she's still not quiet right and her stools are a bit pink. (Maybe blood?)

·
Administrator
24,133 Posts
Has she had anything to eat that's red? It will show up in the feces. Grab one of the droppings, put it in a small container or plastic bag to take to the vet. They can do a fecal.

And if she had shell stuck it is possible to see some red but more along the lines of streaks.

Believe me, doesn't matter how many years you have under your belt, they will keep you wondering what's up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts