Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were told by TSC this chick should be a hen but her tail is sticking straight up unlike my other 5 hens. Any way to tell if she is actually a rooster?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Tail position doesnt matter at this age. I have an Ancona whose tail sticks up in the hair way more than my roosters. As for the pink comb, I dont know lol it may be a roo. What breed is it suppose to be ? And How old?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We thought she was a barred rock but its not looking like that's right anymore. She's 6 weeks old tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Deffinitly not barred rock. I was looking thru some pics and I think she/he maybe a Black Australorp . Did it look like this as a baby ?

(Not my pic, feathersite.com)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I say black australorp, a gentle, great egg laying breed. But, not sure on the sex, you said 6 weeks old? I have a few that are around the same age, will try to get a pick of them before in let them out to free range today.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Check the inside of the legs for spur buds. It may be too young, but if it's a roo, you might be able to see the beginnings of the spurs, looking like little buds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts