Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we have 7 ducks @ 4 weeks old . when can you tell if they are male or female?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You can voice sex ducks once their voice changes, or wait till the drake feather comes in. You can vent sex too if your not squeamish and are careful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Apyl said:
You can voice sex ducks once their voice changes, or wait till the drake feather comes in. You can vent sex too if your not squeamish and are careful.
Yup. Hens will quack and highball, drakes have a raspy growl/grunt. After about 8 weeks you will know because the drakes will be on top! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apyl said:
How old can you voice sex them? I am desperate to know what mine are. They all still have a "chirpy" voice. Loud and high. I true to vent sex them when they were a bit younger and just had no idea what I was looking for!!! I youtubed it but still wasn't sure. I figured out of 6 ducks only one was a possible drake... Just didn't seem right. Their feathers are starting to come in. Wonder if anyone could sex them for me yet without full feathering????

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
How old can you voice sex them? I am desperate to know what mine are. They all still have a "chirpy" voice. Loud and high. I true to vent sex them when they were a bit younger and just had no idea what I was looking for!!! I youtubed it but still wasn't sure. I figured out of 6 ducks only one was a possible drake... Just didn't seem right. Their feathers are starting to come in. Wonder if anyone could sex them for me yet without full feathering????
Do you have any that are more talkative than the others? My females are way louder and make noise all the time. My boys are just quiet and only make the low raspy quack periodically.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apyl said:
Do you have any that are more talkative than the others? My females are way louder and make noise all the time. My boys are just quiet and only make the low raspy quack periodically.
Well I heard a quack tonight!!! Pretty sure it was a khaki and not a Rouen... Just no idea which one! The rest are still chirpy sounding. And they all seem very talkative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts