Male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by Biring, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I love seeing Biring's pics! Farm work calls this morning, I have to get back to putting a new starter in the farm dozer. It just doesn't want to fix itself.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I do not envy you that job, PJ. I had to replace the starter relay on my zero turn. My body was not happy about all of the floor crawling to get up under the machine. You might have more room but it's bigger by a lot which makes it's exponentially more difficult.

3. Poultry Judge

So, I put the rebuilt starter in and I still can't get it to run yet. It's super frustrating because I need to move it out of the barn because there is other equipment behind it I need to get to. Sometimes I get so tired of old farm equipment. We have four tractors and a dozer and the newest one is 1972.

4. robin416

Not knowing tracked equipment can you drag it out with a tractor?

Now I understand why barns have doors on both ends.

5. Poultry Judge

Yes, I will probably have to move it with another tractor. My barn is 50 x 80 and has multiple door on both ends, but you know how farm equipment gets stacked up. I try to keep everything under roof so it is out of the weather, except for the hay wagons.

6. Biring

Biring Active Member

I saw this photo of a wild red junglefowl chick in a facebook group - it looks pretty much like one of my peeps did at that age 7A592921-EC0A-4BDE-A871-8E4B43BDE8B5.jpeg

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  7. Poultry Judge

Thanks, that is a good illustrative pic. of some of the things we have been discussing. Most Games here in the States look very much like this as young chicks. It's hard to derive much information regarding traits or sexing when they look so similar. So, there was great interest in this a hundred years ago. Jungle Fowl were new to those breeders and they didn't have access to any history so they started to sketch out the traits that they could see, in great detail. They sketched the patterns although they change so quickly, and they counted wing feathers, staggering etcetera. They didn't have access to which traits were dominant or recessive, they could only make careful observations from generation to generation and try to make decisions regarding how they wanted to breed their new crosses.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  8. Poultry Judge

And a nearby pond to push it in when you can't take it any more!

robin416 likes this.
  9. robin416

LOL That's when I know it's time for me to walk away. Although with that beast it might be more satisfying to blow it up.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  10. Poultry Judge

I need to get rid of about five pieces of equipment and get one good newer skid steer. It's just the cost issue.