Being cheap, I've decided to make my own incubator to hatch out some banty eggs. I'm not really needing anything big, so I found some directions on the net for making a small one out of a styrofoam cooler which also appealed to my inner cheapness and as having been a naval engineer in a previous career, it was simple too which is always a plus (less parts, less to go wrong). As we already had it, we decided to go with a little big bigger styrofoam chest that frozen steaks came in on a truck. It's about 12x24x10 inches inside. Big enough for a bit more than a dozen hen eggs. We cut out a plexiglass plate that we had down in the shop to fit into the lid so we can see inside and duct taped it down once we had the proper sized hole cut in the lid. The directions we had called for a 25 watt light bulb and a digital thermometer. We already the humidity indicator on hand, so it was off to the hardware store where I picked up a thermometer on end of summer clearance for $8, a couple of light bulbs and a socket to match that plugged into a wall socket. We already had an old extension cord to plug the light socket into. I duct taped the end of the extension cord to the middle of one end of the box and plugged in the light. My wife Vickie got some extra 1/4 inch rabbit hutch mesh wire and made a platform to fit into the bottom and form a guard for the light. I taped the sensor for the thermometer to the other end of the box just above the wire mesh. So we plugged it in to see what it would do and it was quite apparent that the 25 watt bulb was putting out way too much heat. The temp was building past 100 way too fast. I could prop the lid open and kind of control the temp but it was either too low or too hot. So a quick run to the hardware store and I picked up a 15 watt bulb and put it in there. The heat now builds up much slower and easier to control I drilled 3 1/4" holes in the end below the light bulb to let in outside air and use the heat of the light bulb to form convection and carry the heat across the box to the other side where I drilled three more holes to let the heat out. Now with the lid closed it's only getting up to 96 to 97 degrees. Not quite hot enough but we've got the heat under control. I added a small bowl with a wet sponge to provide humidity as we were getting about 45% with the light on. Now it's at 65% but I'm thinking that if I squeeze out some water, it should go down a bit. So right now that's where we're at. I'm thinking to plug the upper holes that let heat out one at a time to build up those last few degrees. Tomorrow, I'm going to start it back up and let it run at least all day and try to get the temp up to around 99 to 100 degrees.