Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens don't seem to like maize. For the last two weeks, every morning when I check and sort food out, the maize is always left in the bottom of the food dish or scratched into the floor. Is maize really important and is there an alternative? They're in a mixed food of maize, oyster shell, wheat, layer pellets and flaked cereals. Along with table scraps once a day. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't feed maize and figure that if they don't like it, it must not be too important. I add cracked corn & oatmeal to my feed and they love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you queenie. It's just one bag if food I bought when I first got them and the maize is in that. I shall have to get an alternative food as the maize seems to make up 85% of the bag.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I grew up calling maize and milo the same thing, too. My girls leave it until last but they do eventually eat it. They love the sprouts if any ever has a chance to sprout.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Mine are corn junkies.They even prefer it whole.

USA calls it corn.They rest of the world calls it maize.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
It must not be the right texture or something. With mine I use 100% oat sweetfeed (stickiness), scratch, yeast, and calcium and shake it all together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts