Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local feed store only sells manapro harvest delight treat in a small bag for $13!

I looked up some recipes and ideas and put together my own batch.

I bought a bag of cracked corn $4
A pound of mixed millet and black sunflower seeds $1
A cup and a half of oats around $.50
A cup of raisins around $1

For $6.50 I have more than enough for a month or two and I tried it out today and they LOVE it! I'm mostly hoping it will keep them occupied on the days that I have to leave them in the coop due to rain or temperatures until they are big.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awesome. I need to start looking into different feeds soon. My hens are 5 or 6 weeks old and I still have them on the medicated feed. They eat all the grass in the pen when I put them out during the day as well. The other day I gave them a bunch of left over peas from dinner and they loved it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only made this as a treat, I will still be feeding them commercial chick grower till they are about 8 weeks or till I'm out of it, then I will switch them to grower then to layer feed. I don't find 50 for $15 to be bad so I don't mind that. But the scratch was really pricey and I wanted to save some there!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Yes, but a treat only!! Cracked corn is chicken crack!! They love it, and it turns to sugar and fat in their bodies. It's ok in the winter, but in the summer, the extra weight can lead to fatty liver syndrome, which causes a horrible death. :(

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's been real cold here the last 3 days too, high of 55 all three days and freezing at night. I'm still letting them out during the day but leaving the heat light on inside so they can go warm up. I figured a little treat would be good to help keep them warm. But I only plan to give them fruits and veggies for snacks during the summer. Luckily it's supposed to warm up tomorrow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts