Loved chicken bites everyone

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by baskerboo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. baskerboo

baskerboo New Member

We have a loved red star who was raised as a baby in my house and played with so much. We had her inside then placed her in the coop with the rest of the flock. She got scared and we missed her inside sober brought her back in. Since she got too big she is outside with the same group of chickens. She is a very mean chicken and I don't know why since I raised her by hand! We have tired to kill her with kindness but she still persists on biting us. Spraying her with water has told her to keep her distance, but when she comes close, she bites. Any suggestions on what do to?

This is my Daisy, the biting one

image-2932334528.jpg

2. stu-hens

stu-hens New Member

she has no fear of you ....;)

3. Lissa

Lissa Junior Member

My Rooster was biting me every time I tried to pick him up. So, I started wearing gloves and would pick him up and hold him like a baby rubbing his belly and walking around the yard so he would see that I am head Roo. I did this every day and he has since stopped biting. Not sure if it was just a fluke but it seemed to work. Might be worth a try? Good luck!

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 New Member

I'm not sure she is biting you with the intent of hurting you. Red Stars are very inquisitive and will peck at just about anything. Fingers, rings, toes, freckles, tattoos, cuts, you name it, mine peck at it.

5. TerryQui

TerryQui New Member

Wow she didn't want to go outside, lol.

6. baskerboo

baskerboo New Member

Thanks for the advice! Now she is a very nice Red Star, and Red Stars are usually nice, my old star was a ditzy, happy, never-hurt-a-fly type of Star. She especially hates feet. She will attack feet like nobodies business! I won't step near her in flip flops in the summer. I will try your ideas

7. baskerboo

baskerboo New Member

And my Rhode Island Red was very mean, attacking feet and hands, but by the time she was one (now two), she grew out of it and is the nicest bird in the flock. Daisy (biter) is only one, so maybe she will grow out of this "habit", also

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My red star is also very curious and loves the holes in crocks or shirt patterns. I hold her a lot as she's my best chicken. My favorite too.

My head Roo was getting pretty "cocky" so today I picked him up and carried him around while feeding and opening doors and such. Wanted to remind him who was in charge. He was very well behaved throughout the process. I pick up everybody as often as I can. Very matter of fact.

I'm hoping this resident Roo will calm down cause I want my comet to pair with the BR cockerel I just added. They seem to be getting along. Everyone seems to be getting along. They had a group dirt bath yesterday while I was working in the yard. I love to watch them roll in the dirt.

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I had to give up wearing my crocs in the pen; they ALL had to peck in ALL the holes in both feet. And if I wasn't wearing socks and had my toenails painted, it was just ON!!! :eek:

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah, I kinda have up on crocs. I keep a pair by the back door in case I have to take dogs out or check on chickens. But I'm never wearing them longer than maybe 5 minutes. Gave most of them away too. Just kinda lost interest.

But my red comet always checks out my shoes. She must be a shoe chick. Lol

11. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

good tip! I'll try it with my little ones. Their mama is a Silkie. Über protective. She has taught them to run from everything! me included. Fast little beggars!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's what I do and it works fine.

13. piglett

piglett Senior Member

how many in your flock
    just adding 1 is asking for problems IMHO
    now if she had always had a friend then it mite be a different story
    does she roost with the others or all alone?
    she may be the outcast of the flock