Lost a hen:(

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by ThreeJ, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Closed up the chickens for the night, and noticed I didnt have my usual stray outside the coop. This morning I noticed a little bit of white feathers in an area out in the open. No time to investagte, went to work.
    Home to lock them up for the night and check it out. Found the wings and legs further back from the feathers. I hate raccoons! Time to get serious.:mad:

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Sorry to hear that. Time to get a trap ( or shoot it if you can) and dispose of the coon. Whatever you do dont rehome it, it will either become someone elses problem or find its way back to you. Good luck.

3. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Thanks , I already have a trap/bullet(with his name on it). I will need all the luck I can get.

4. rob

rob New Member

good luck mate. and sorry to hear about your chook

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good Luck ThreeJ. So sorry about your hen. =(

6. TheGarryFarm

TheGarryFarm New Member

Am so sorry for your loss..... Hope that the problem gets taken care of!

7. jtwins

jtwins New Member

That stinks! We have been pretty lucky with predators. We have caught and disposed of coons, skunks, and fox. The darn skunks are egg thieves! Haven't lost any birds yet though.

8. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

So far so good, haven't lost any more chickens. I haven't trapped any coons yet either. I will keep trying.

9. amber

amber New Member

Sorry about your hen. I lost one of my Barred Rocks to a raccoon last night. We've made some modifications today and all my chicks will be locked up tight at night from now on.