Losing my best friend.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 7chicks, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

This is probably not the place, but I feel like my heart is going to burst and I have come to see some of you as friends here. Today I found out the "kidney" infection we have been treating the past 2 months for my just turned 10 (on Oct. 12) rat terrier, is actually a mass. Her right kidney isn't even a kidney shape its so huge. Xrays done this afternoon. Just told the hubby a short bit ago. Izzabelle has been his girl for a very long time. She's not really eating or drinking. Mass is shoving her internal organs out of place. Just absolutely sick and heart broke.

2. rob

rob New Member

im so sorry to hear that 7chicks. we become so attached to our animals that it breaks our hearts when this kind of thing happens, and sometimes we have to make a desision that we dont want to make. but whats best for our animals must come first.

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Sorry to hear this 7chicks. It's is very hard on anyone to even think of losing a companion. Please know we are here for you and just hope the best in this situation.

4. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I am very sorry 7chicks. I lost my best friend and canine soulmate Charlie Girl to kidney cancer in 2009. Despite now having our two "boys" Jax and Kane, not a day goes by that I don't miss my Charlie Girl. (((HUGS)))

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

This is my girl Izzabelle. My other rat is staying close with her. Keeps crying when she lays down next to Izzabelle. My sister-in-law is coming over this morning to check on her for us. I can't miss class since its only once a week. Thankfully its a short class day but still means I'm gone for about 4 hours. Work tomorrow but since I work home health, I'll just take the girls with me. They go every now and then anyway. They get bundled up super warm when they go with. Least I can keep an close on her that way.

Attached Files:

6. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

So sorry 7chicks! Thats a beautiful picture. Wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. We all have to go threw it??? I heard a saying once... * It's better to have love and lost then to never have loved at all.* It really hurts...so sorry. :(.... Jen

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks Jen. We just keep holding our breath. Stopped at the vets on my way home for some pain pills to keep her comfortable. She did eat for me this a.m. Making her some food special for in a bit that will give her nutrients and be easy on the belly. Little fart climbed right up to perch on my shoulders like always when I picked her up so I could carry her outside to go potty when I got home. Bless her heart. Zoey kept smelling in the area that has the mass last night. She'd sit back, look at us, and cry. She knows big sister isn't right.

Pic of Zoey (left) with Izzabelle about 2 weeks after we brought Zoey home from a shelter this past March. The two always nap together.

Attached Files:

8. havasu

havasu Administrator Staff Member

You probably don't realize how this is affecting all of us animal lovers. Keep your chin up, as this is all part of the big guy's plan upstairs!

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

So sorry about this! That's the bad thing about loving pets, is having to say goodbye. Again, so sorry! She's beautiful!

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

She is lucky to have someone like you ... I will keep you both in my thoughts.

(hugs)

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks Sundancers. Thank you all of you. Just need the support right now so I came here for it. :eek: Yesterday's visit at the vet's just blew me away. Results were not what any of us were expecting. We had thought maybe a blockage from kidney stones or something on that order. Ended up being called off work tomorrow so I'm rather relieved. Work the weekend but the hub is off so he'll be able to keep an eye on her then. Been a blessing my in-laws have been coming over in between times to potty her and check on her. Mother-in-law lives about 5 houses down from us and sister-in-law about a mile away. Thank god for good friends and family!

12. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I feel your pain! My prayers are with you... {{ Hugs }} Jen

13. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet who is loved so much is very difficult.

14. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

So sorry! They really are our babies, they touch and change our lives everyday.

15. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Okay, its been 6 days since I got the news of the tumor Izzabelle has. I don't know what happened, but starting last night she perked up. Today when I got home from work, she ran to greet me at the door! She ran out to potty. Ran to the far end of the yard to finish the job then ran in to get a drink of water! Plain water! She hasn't drank plain water in a week at least! She ate her regular dry dog food! Last night and this afternoon! She had been running a fever off & on over the weekend. Her little head was blazing hot. This evening, its nice and cool. Gosh I hope this isn't one of those sudden up-swings before the bad. I hope beyond hope, that maybe, just maybe, her vet was wrong. That maybe all those antibotic shots she was getting for a kidney infection for the past 2 months worked. The antibiotic put on her anal glands last Tuesday for her infected glands taking till now to work so all will be okay ... Her eyes are bright. Washed her face twice now. No yips from pain when my exuberant younger rat terrier Zoey jumps into the dog bed with her. No belly tenderness at all right now. I mean I was told last Wednesday that there's nothing more to do for her. To bring her home, keep her comfortable as possible with pallative care; call if I needed anything. Her diet for a week has been wild long grain rice with boiled hamburger heated up with a good dose of water to get her to take in fluids. We also cooked her up a couple eggs. Keep your fingers crossed that all will be all right and the diagnosis was wrong. That would be the greatest gift of all!

16. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

*Fingers crossed* :)

17. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My aunt who worked at a vet's office for years called my ma about Izz this evening. She thinks she was totally misdiagnosed! Going to request my x-rays and have a 2nd opinion done with in the next week or so. Said that all the symptoms were wrong for the diagnosis. If I shelled out all that $$$ for nothing! Glad if all is going to be fine but dang, this woman took me to the cleaners!

18. patlet

patlet New Member

Man that sort of thing really pisses me off! Unethical people who take advantage of people who adore their critters! Blessed be the good guys! All good things for your Izzy's return to health!

19. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Alas, after going to a different vet, ultrasound, x-ray, and biopsy confirmed she has renal cancer. Holding my breath now because I don't how much time is left. Cancer has drained her body from every ounce of fat and muscle. She eats very little and sleeps a lot. She started throwing up yesterday. I'm not sure if lymphoma follows the same course as it does in the humans I take care of or not so I'm not real sure what more to watch for. She is on prednisone. I broke the dose down to 1/2 two times daily. The prescribed 10 mg/day was just way too much. Zoey continues to be continuously at Izzabelle's side. If she is going to play, she get out of the bed for a short bit and play on the floor then bring her toy back to the bed with her to lay down beside Izz again.

This original vet I went to was not happy that I went to a different vet an hour away. Left me a rather snide voicemail about it. She told me to go to a place in WI that is a good 4 hours away and $1500 to walk in the door just to have an ultrasound done. She would not tell me it was cancer, only lead on that that's what was wrong.

20. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Wow, like it's not bad enough. Makes you wonder why people have to be such butts, especially when they know the situation. So sorry. Hugs to you!!