Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Rhode Island Reds that are a couple of months old, barely just feathered in. I keep losing them to a strange vent issue where the vent is wide open and bloody, and I can see intestines. There doesn't seem to be any visible issue before it happens. They are all from the same group, and the other breed of chickens I have with them aren't having the same issue. Also, I haven't seen any vent pecking, so it isn't the other chicks doing it.

· Premium Member
3,826 Posts
It certainly sounds like picking and pecking to me since red blood especially attracts chicks/chickens to peck at injuries and wounds (wide open bloody vents.) The RIR's could possibly be picking and pecking each other.

Coccidiosis in some instances shows bloody sloughed intestinal lining which would require an antibiotic such as SMZ-TMP or Toltrazuril. There are only two types of the nine coccidiosis that causes blood in feces.
Corid would be ineffective in this instance, especially if the chicks are being fed medicated chick starter.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It certainly sounds like picking and pecking to me since red blood especially attracts chicks/chickens to peck at injuries and wounds (wide open bloody vents.) The RIR's could possibly be picking and pecking each other.

Coccidiosis in some instances shows bloody sloughed intestinal lining which would require an antibiotic such as SMZ-TMP or Toltrazuril. There are only two types of the nine coccidiosis that causes blood in feces.
Corid would be ineffective in this instance, especially if the chicks are being fed medicated chick starter.
The reason I think they aren't pecking each other is because the feathers around the vent are always still intact - sometimes even hiding the vent. I'll look into the coccidiosis though, thank you

EDIT: I did a little investigation. Right now one of the has a bloody vent, it's still alive, but it is kind of mutilated. I'm guessing it's probably pecking. There doesn't seem to be any blood in the feces though, I have a catch tray under their cage, and the only irregularity is the grit that I feed them is purple-ish, and there is a fair amount in the tray

· Premium Member
3,826 Posts
It's picking and pecking. Apply Nu-Stock to the effected area and wear disposable gloves when applying it. Nu-Stock will heal the area in time and prevent picking and pecking at the same time. Once a bird gets a mouthful of Nu-Stock, there wont be no more picking and pecking. It can be found in the equine section at a feed store. Shake the tube well before applying it. Once you are finished applying it, it's best to store it in a sealed ziplock bag. Dont forget to wear disposable gloves.
You can reapply it again in 5 days if necessary. BTW: It's great for scaly leg mites as well.
Liquid Drink Fluid Font Electric blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts