Tennessee LOOKING FOR...

Discussion in 'Hatching Eggs' started by danathome, Sep 17, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Call Duck and Porcelain/Golden neck d'Uccle hatching eggs.

NO LONGER LOOKING-FOUND WHAT I NEEDED!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

If you're in east TN, contact Angie Sutton or Ruth Murchison. They're with Something to Crow About poultry show held in Cocke County. The should have contacts for the breeds you're searching for. I have their ph #s if you're interested.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

He lives West of where I lived outside of Lawrenceburg.

4. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

Oh well...sorry danathome. I don't know the show people there.

5. robin416

But they could be a resource if they know someone closer to him or even have eggs to sell. He seems to have hens that spend their entire lives broody. And no, they're not Silkies.

6. danathome

My call duck hen as given me all the ducks I could want and I have two pair of d'Uccle thanks to overmountain and Charlie. Thank you for thinking of me; your efforts are appreciated.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  7. danathome

Just about. When the oldest ducklings got to a week in age the serama hen could no longer brood them and was returned to the coop. The hen immediately stole another hen's nest and resumed brooding eggs. It seems that with each generation my serama are more motherhood inclined. I've owned many silkies in the past. If not for their tiny size, serama would beat silkies as broody hens. But what they lack in size they make up for with frequency.

Between the phoenix (I sold all but six adults and six teens) and the serama, there is always a couple hens brooding; and that does come in handy when I see/hear of hatching eggs that interest me.

8. danathome

I don't know them either and since I don't show birds I may never know them.

9. Hencackle

Hencackle Member

Don't worry about showing. Sometimes show people know others with perfectly good rejects that make good pets.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  10. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Still beats the commercial hatcheries, the breeders I interact with are very serious but good hearted people. They stake their personal reputations on their birds.

11. Poultry Judge

I sell a lot of good birds to hobbyists, the show folks, very few birds. We tend to trade birds and pairs or trios.

12. danathome

I don't know anyone that shows, but buy, sell, and trade with hobbyists and pet owners; occasionally from ebay.

13. Poultry Judge

You don't have any acquaintances showing Seramas?

14. danathome

No. Everyone I know either buys from me or is a hobbyist-like me. I suppose it is because I don't have any wish to show and don't go to shows. I have conversed with a few on BYC, but they have no interest beyond "shows". A few have made sniggering comments about my birds. I am sure there are many great people that show their birds; I have been unfortunate enough not to have met any.

15. robin416

You met me and PJ. Sort of.

danathome and Poultry Judge like this.
  16. Poultry Judge

I hear you Dan! I no longer have any fire in the belly for regional or national shows. As I get older, I simply don't have the patience for the nonsense. My only regret is not judging more 4H and FFA and mentoring the kids programs. I should have done more of that but I was always busy with work. I always said I'd do that when I retire and now the school age programs are on hold.

danathome, Slippy and Overmountain1 like this.
  17. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

I love that you want to do more of it, I think you’d be an awesome mentor for some of the kids! Jmo.
    They can’t keep them on hold for forever, and really, I would think a virtual show would be even easier for the 4H kids- they could each submit a video of them presenting their birds or something, and then set up a quick Zoom to answer questions later, and score from both or whatever- def doable anyway!
    Someday we might get to have freedom of movement again...

danathome, Poultry Judge and Slippy like this.
  18. Poultry Judge

We always had pretty good poultry programs for the kids, especially 4H here at the county level. The FFA was just geared slightly more for production animals. I think you are absolutely right about Zoom and Virtual shows for at least the beginning of 2021. We cancelled our Spring Fossil Ledges Charity Show and Swap due to Covid this year. I had already purchased all the ribbons and Rosettes, it's just a local community grassroots show to benefit the animal rescue. It was always educational and primarily for the kids and was "run what ya brung" with everyone winning some kind of ribbon.

Overmountain1 and danathome like this.
  19. Poultry Judge

I haven't heard of any other virtual shows except The Ohio National Show claimed success with their first virtual show this year. It was started in 1956 I believe, and had years where there were over 12,000 entries of birds in Columbus, Ohio from all over the country. This year, I believe they had 2400 virtual entries and opened it up to worldwide. They kept the rules simple, one side profile pic of the bird and one other pic, your choice. Then they posted video results with judges commentaries. Robin and I discussed back and forth regarding what kind of show this might turn into. But they already had the awards dated for 2020 so they did it, and I think it was fairly successful. They had entries from 11 countries. So it's doable.

20. robin416

I wish I had paid closer attention to when the show was being held. I wouldn't have minded following how it worked out.