Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good type of goose to add to my flock of feathered pets. My wife is doing all the meat and egg chickens. I want friendly animals that will be pet quality. I am currently looking around for Brahma chickens. I have 14 Cayuga duck eggs in the incubator. Now I need to decide what type of goose I want. There was an ad on craigslist a couple of days ago for two different types. One of them was described as a friendly, less aggressive while sitting goose. Now I can't for the life of me remember what type it was. I just want something that won't be attacking my little girl if she gets too close to its nest. I also want it to be an attractive species. I don't like geese like the African Geese with that big bump on top of their head. And the last quality, not prone to fly off. Or will they all fly and require wing trimming? I was going to read about different species but I'd rather get opinions from people who own them and can share pros and cons. I just want a pair, or maybe a trio if that works better for them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have waited before I responded. :rolleyes: I think I like the Pilgrim better than the Toulouse after reading about them on several sites.

Any links to good places that sell them? I would very much prefer getting eggs and hatching them myself if anyone sells Pilgrim hatching eggs. I checked a few places that I'm familiar with and they only seem to sell goslings. And despite all sources saying you can have a ration of 3-5 to 1, efowl will only sell them 1 to 1. They claim the can't sell more females than males.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I continue to look, I find a lot of different policies on these birds. As I said before, efowl will only sell them at a 1 to 1 ratio. I think it was purely poultry that limits your order to 2. Almost everybody is out of stock right now. I did find them at California Hatchery at a good price. They will sell you all you want and don't limit the male to female ratio. However, in the product description for Pilgrim Geese, it says straight run only. I only want a trio but ordering straight run, I might get all of the same sex or too many males. I don't understand why the only autosex goose is sold straight run when they can easily sex them at birth. I have inquired about this and await a response. Hopefully, they'll work with me and send me the geese I want and I'll have my Pilgrims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts