Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Chickaholics Anonymous Help!

I was planning on max of a dozen hens and one or two Roos. Have two pullets each of Rhode Island Red, Black Australop, Buff Orphington's ( & 2 Roos), and 3 EE pullets for total of 9 plus 2 Roos. Also have a dozen eggs in the Bator of Marans and Marans mixes.
Today my local feed store brought in day old Barred Rock. Almost brought 2 home. But had self control. (I hate that.) Looking for excuses to get them Saturday. Any help from my fellow Chickaholics Anonymous members?

·
Registered
187 Posts
For what it's worth.....and I'm sorry to have to actually admit this.......... I wanted a barred rock so bad, and I don't really like her :(
She's the "mean one" out of my little flock

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth.....and I'm sorry to have to actually admit this.......... I wanted a barred rock so bad, and I don't really like her :(
She's the "mean one" out of my little flock
You made me laugh out load. Last time I had one was about 15 years ago and I also had a mean one. But you know on the internet, everyone seems to rave about them. "Their the sweetest birds!"
I think the older I get, the better things were. I'm still thinking about getting a couple and maybe hanging a sign in the coop that reads. "Attention all Chickens; Anyone caught being aggressive will be sent to freezer camp until they chill out."

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I have 3 barred rock chicks and they are really bold. They peck at my fingers when I clean their cage. They challenged my polish Roo. Looked him right in the eye and went to peck him. He jumped back. They are pretty insane and they're only 4 weeks. I'm not sure what to think of the ugly step sisters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have two barred rock hens. One of them likes to hop on my back. I am rather sure it is to show she is boss. She is the boss of the coop but not even close to mean.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 3 barred rock chicks and they are really bold. They peck at my fingers when I clean their cage. They challenged my polish Roo. Looked him right in the eye and went to peck him. He jumped back. They are pretty insane and they're only 4 weeks. I'm not sure what to think of the ugly step sisters.
You guys aren't helping me with excuses here! What I want to hear is, "their the best chickens I ever had. You'd be an idiot not to race over and pick some up first thing in the morning" ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I love my barred rock. When she looks up at me with those beautiful eyes, I fall in love all over again. What will one or two more hurt? Nothing! You need those beautiful birds! Not want, NEED!

While I was going for over the top sappy, everything I said was true. Even though she is only 4 weeks old, we already understand each other.

Hope this helps fill your excuse bucket!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Haha! I have one, 4 weeks old, boldest out of 6 different breeds, she is also the most friendly. Hoping she'll be a good "lap chicken."

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I thought you were looking for excuses TO get them. You mean you already went back and GOT them?

And I was referring to the chicks. Well pullets now.

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
Oh I think we are beyond help. I was at TSC yesterday in Fort Stockton they had cute baies of all kinds. I was watching this couple with her little girlies pick at all kinds of babies. They had lots pf barred rocks for sale. But I did not get any babies. I'll be hatching some Dominique's:

VIVI

·
Registered
78 Posts
We r addicted!! We have 3 Plymouth barred rocks an 3 sexlinks and they are all great chickens. Egg every day and friendly girls. Just got 6 nh reds chicks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
farmhand said:
I'm still thinking about getting a couple and maybe hanging a sign in the coop that reads. "Attention all Chickens; Anyone caught being aggressive will be sent to freezer camp until they chill out."
Oh goodness! You returned the favor!! That's great.
This whole thread has me cracking up.

I know I wasn't being helpful to your cause ;) haha.
But hey, the first step to recovery is admission, right? And I had to just get it out. Phew, now I don't feel like a bad chicken mom for not loving one of the "kids".
My BR is treated just like the other 3 girls, but she really is low man on the favoritism totem pole. Fussy, bossy, flighty little thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Best of all!!

Mine might be BOLD if you call being the first one to the crickets-treats-food bowl-or needs attention! She is my wife's favorite one and the most vocal of the breeds. She is spoiled. Go get some more it will be alright!! Trust me!!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I guess we all look for different attributes in our chickens. Some like a fighter, some like a peacemaker, some like an underdog.

I don't dislike the stepsisters, (barred rocks). They're just not like any if my others (polish, silkies, leghorn, comet, banty). Each breed seems to have a distinct personality type.

And then there's Louie, who although being a Silkie, tried to kill my chicks yesterday and has bitten more times than I can count. Some gentle sweet Silkie. (Eye roll).

I can't wait for Leggy, Eggy & Peggy to join the flock and mix things up. They're like leather and spandex chicks! Lol

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well to all my friends who tried to keep me away from the feed store; THANKS FOR NOTHING! I went this morning just to make sure they were all still ok. Since I was there anyway, I picked up a Barred Rock and New Hampshire. Being concerned that the 10 minute drive home in our cold California weather might be hard on them, I added a third just to keep em warm. A Barred Rock Roo. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
farmhand said:
Well to all my friends who tried to keep me away from the feed store; THANKS FOR NOTHING! I went this morning just to make sure they were all still ok. Since I was there anyway, I picked up a Barred Rock and New Hampshire. Being concerned that the 10 minute drive home in our cold California weather might be hard on them, I added a third just to keep em warm. A Barred Rock Roo. :eek:
You're such a risk taker!!
If you stop posting for awhile, we're sending out a search party.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts