·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I said. Well u dont wana kno what actually came outta my mouth haha

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
What kind of snake is that? I never kill them, they are usually after mice. If they are coming for eggs or so, then I would probably change my mind, but if it isn't poisonous I just get it to slither away.

We had loads of snakes where I used to live, but none here. We had a snake (water snake) that we saw so often that we named him. He didn't have the pointy tail, but it was a stump, so we named him Stumpy. Well, we saw him at least twice a week through the season for two whole years!

One morning, I was having tea in my garden (next to our creek) and basically zoned out........I felt something on my foot (barefoot) and I looked down and saw a snake sitting on my foot. I jumped up, dropped the tea and kicked out my foot. The snake went flying through the air and then slithered to the creek. I saw it was Stumpy, but hey, a snake on your foot!!??? I did the creepy dance with multiple screams!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Roslyn said:
What kind of snake is that? I never kill them, they are usually after mice. If they are coming for eggs or so, then I would probably change my mind, but if it isn't poisonous I just get it to slither away.

We had loads of snakes where I used to live, but none here. We had a snake (water snake) that we saw so often that we named him. He didn't have the pointy tail, but it was a stump, so we named him Stumpy. Well, we saw him at least twice a week through the season for two whole years!

One morning, I was having tea in my garden (next to our creek) and basically zoned out........I felt something on my foot (barefoot) and I looked down and saw a snake sitting on my foot. I jumped up, dropped the tea and kicked out my foot. The snake went flying through the air and then slithered to the creek. I saw it was Stumpy, but hey, a snake on your foot!!??? I did the creepy dance with multiple screams!!
I love snakes. I never kill them unless they are vonumeous. Got kids running around dont need any of that. But the constricters are fine by me. Got three pet snakes of my own.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Sorry, but I won't save a big snake. Venomous or not! I freak out enough as it is when I accidentally drive over an already dead one on the road! :eek: Not afraid to admit, I turn into a royal sissy when it comes to snakes. Well, a sissy with a pocket full of ammo anyway.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I guess I'm more desensitized to general snakes. My Mother's husband went to all the snake hunts etc about 20+ years ago and he bred pythons in their basement. His female weighed in at 250 pounds and had her own room that was 16x16 feet in the basement. She once opened the side of the wall with her face and escaped into the basement. Naturally it was too cold for her, so she wrapped around the furnace. My Mother and I had to wrestle this snake from the furnace, call her husband's pet snake buddy to come help and then we put her into her traveling box and SAT on it until he came to help.

In all my life seeing snakes in the country (I grew up in the country) I have never crossed the path of a venomous one. When I was a kid I carried a LOT of black snakes out of my GrandMother's garden with a shovel. I didn't kill them, just helped them find their way back to the creek/woods.

If they are a problem, the best thing to do is figure out why they are there and fix that. If you have copperheads, you have a mice problem. It's easier sometimes to change the environment and the snakes will move on.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I will kill a big worm, and a lizard better be showing me it's legs quick!! We have one around here that hubbo named "Hiss", and as long as it stays the hiss away from me, it's ok. But when they slink around corners, hiding and being all sneakysnaky, Iccckkkk!!!:eek:

·
Banned
825 Posts
I was almost an adult before I knew there were ANY snakes except rattlesnakes !
We had a LOT of them around here back in those days.....!!!!
So....I KILL snakes !
(but ...the past few years....I have allowed Bull Snakes to survive around here. The reason I have is
because I have heard that they will keep RATTLESNAKES away ! They also eat mice. )
Bull Snakes LOOK quite a bit like rattlesnakes....at first glance.
But no rattles...and a different shaped head.

Link:

-
ReTIRED-:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just fainted. I don't care for snakes. It's okay if they are pets, but then they should be kept in some sort of cage or something! I don't mind bull snakes/garden snakes. I never see really big ones, so that is a good thing. Since I live in the desert, we do have rattlers, but the only times i have encountered them is when I accidentally run over them with my car. I think this a pretty good way to dispose of such snakes! :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow thank god i live in a snake free country lol
Don't tell the government…..or the scientists! Thanks to both we in the American South now have kudzu, Multiflora roses, armadillos, fire ants….the list goes on….and on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Snakes don't bother me as long as they don't surprise me. When I was young, my friends and I would go snake hunting in the creek back in the woods during the DogDays of Summer (August). We didn't kill anything non-poisonous, but we did kill quite a few copperheads and a couple of rattlers. They are good at keeping small pest at bay, but you do want to make sure they are not raiding the chicken coop

1 - 20 of 30 Posts