Chicken Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few of ours ... The first picture is Lit' bit and her bull calf. The second picture is one of our bulls (firecracker) with a heifer calf ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

They are know as the gentle giants and my husband is part of the herd (he can go in the field with no worries) ... I on the the other hand will not turn my back to them. lol

They are rather tame and will take a treat out of your hand, as long as a fly does not land on their back and they go after with a horn. (and you just happen to be in the way :D)

As far as cattle, I think they are an awesome breed.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Surprisingly ( VERY SURPRISINGLY ! ).....
A Northern State of MEXICO....State: Sonora ...home of Nogales...and Hermosillo...and Puerto Penasco ( commonly called "Rocky Point" ), and other Significant places......... has recently OUTLAWED Bullfights !!! :confused:

It IS a "Culture-Thing" !
( "THEY" may "outlaw it" but, other than "exhibitions" in Sonora...it will only CHANGE one thing) .....and THAT is....
WHERE people will go to see a "Bullfight".
Sinaloa, Chihuahua, Coahilla, Baja California, OR any other PLACE where tradition and SANITY are paramount.

I just HATE IT when "do-gooder" MORALISTS insist that THEY are RIGHT !
( In which God's eyes....OR....In which "Prophet's eyes"...??? )

EACH PERSON understands "Morality" ...in a different way.
UNLESS...that understanding extends BEYOND that PERSON....
( like HITLER and TOJO and Hirohito )......
it has little "effect" upon Society in general...and that person IS entitled to THAT RIGHT.....in the U.S.A.

DON'T BOTHER to be a "do-gooder"....it's a MISTAKE !
...just help your Friends and Neighbors...when you are fortunate enough to able to aissist them. AND THEN do the ABSOLUTE "BEST" that THEY will ALLOW you to do...

I have attended MANY Bullfights AND some Cockfights...and do enjoy the Pagentry of the Bullfight !!!
( I think that Ernest Hemingway AND James Michener are "rolling-over-in-their-graves" !!! )
AND....The MEXICAN State of Sonora is seriously considering "Outlawing" ...
ROOSTER FIGHTS !!! :confused::rolleyes:
maybe......SOME DAY....soon ?....We will ALL be viewing LIFE amd DEATH the same stupid way.
(BUTCHER a HOMEGROWN CHICKEN ? YOU..my friend..are a SADIST and a MENACE to SOCIETY !!! untrue....of course.)

-ReTIRED-
P.S. I always CHEERED for the BULL...because I knew...that he couldn't WIN ! and I usually WANTED the BULL to win.
BUT...eventually..."THEY" we going to EAT HIM anyway.

WE ALL LOSE if WE are "insignificant". TRY to BE "signigicant" in a POSITIVE (?) Manner !
====BUT allow for the possibility....
that "other-folks" MIGHT be every bit as right as YOU ! or me.

who knows....? Certainly (from History) ....Humans don't "Know" !

been spending too much on opinions lately...gotta "pull-back"....
off my 2-peso soapbox. :rolleyes:

-ReTIRED-;)
:)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
LOVe the pics ! I grew up always at my garndparents farm. I dont remember the breeds of cattle they had but they were brown with curly heads. He named ever cow and could call them by name and they would come running. Boy I miss those days, when he got cancer ( they didnt catch it till it was to late) he had to sell and move closure to a hospital. But yeah I would LOVE to have the property for a few cows !

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My granddad used to raise the same cattle. He and grandma too used to name every one of them and kept all records of them in a neatly organized notebook. The occasion they would add in a new bull, we kids were warned not to go out into the pasture. Ummm, ya, some of us didn't listen very well. :eek: However, I did get that untamed mean bull I was warned about to take a bunch of clover from me.:p Sure do miss them and those days. Lost Grandma a year ago in March followed by Granddad a year ago this coming June. Grandma from health issues, Granddad because of nursing home negligence. :mad:

·
Banned
825 Posts
"Grandad" probably should NOT have been in a "Nursing-Home" anyway.
I WON'T GO there !
- I'll die at home OR maybe...unlikely...in a home of one of my 4 children.
BUT, I will NOT go to a "Nursing Home".
STRAIGHT FACT !!!
-ReTIRED- :p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most of our cows are brangus and black baldies. We now have two angus bulls. I think we had a charlolais bull when she had this baby.

I used to tease my hubby that every Texas ranch needed a longhorn, when we were dating so he got me one. :)

·
Banned
825 Posts
Most of our cows are brangus and black baldies. We now have two angus bulls. I think we had a charlolais bull when she had this baby.

I used to tease my hubby that every Texas ranch needed a longhorn, when we were dating so he got me one. :)
IF ....I understand ....what I was told....when I lived in Colorado.....
Charolais cattle were GOOD for MEAT & DAIRY . :D

But, honestly, I don't know.

-ReTIRED-:)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
"Grandad" probably should NOT have been in a "Nursing-Home" anyway.
I WON'T GO there !
- I'll die at home OR maybe...unlikely...in a home of one of my 4 children.
BUT, I will NOT go to a "Nursing Home".
STRAIGHT FACT !!!
-ReTIRED- :p :rolleyes:
It wasn't my choice. Bullheaded ignorant daughters (ignorant because they did not want to listen and did not know just what they were doing) put them there even though that place is a hell hole. They were more concerned with fighting over who gets what and nobody wanting to take "real" responsibility for their parents. I pushed and pushed to get them to at least move them to a better place even though it meant traveling for them an extra hour. (2 rather than 1) He had lost well above his knee left leg from gangrene caused by peripheral vascular disease. Had dementia too that came and went. I know he did not get his pain meds when needed for starters. When he fell, he fell face first from a wheelchair that was not his! He had a special one made to tip back because he always leaned so far forward so he wouldn't fall out when being transported. By the time the "top" daughter in charge was willing to listen, it was too late.

He was on his death bed from a 2 week long misdiagnosis too late to fix - partially collapsed lung, excessive fluid retention, and no pain management. I had to tell the RN he needed his pain med - morphine preferably and where is his atropine because he is aspirating. Her answer? Good idea - I'll let the doctor know to write a prescription right away. Really??? I'm only a certified nurses aide telling an RN what he needs? (I was going to school for lpn at the time - done now and graduated waiting to take my boards.) He never got the pain med he needed as scheduled. All of this portion took place at the hospital which is attached to the nursing home - or used to be until recently. Now the hospital is a brand new one across the highway from Lake Michigan and cost millions of dollars to build. Can sue but it comes down to "he was old considering the current expected life span" so the case would be thrown out. Complaints were filed with the state though for what its worth. Grandma's death was caused by natural causes though. She had copd really bad. A year later and I am still angry with this hospital and nursing home. I'm angry too for the family not listening to me. I've spent the past 6 years working specifically with the geriatric population. With working in home health & hospice I've learned so much. I just wish they would have listened and put their differences aside. :( Yes, I'd have given anything to have had them home. It would have taken the family working together to make it doable which is something they were not willing to do.

·
Banned
825 Posts
It wasn't my choice. Bullheaded ignorant daughters (ignorant because they did not want to listen and did not know just what they were doing) put them there even though that place is a hell hole. They were more concerned with fighting over who gets what and nobody wanting to take "real" responsibility for their parents. I pushed and pushed to get them to at least move them to a better place even though it meant traveling for them an extra hour. (2 rather than 1) He had lost well above his knee left leg from gangrene caused by peripheral vascular disease. Had dementia too that came and went. I know he did not get his pain meds when needed for starters. When he fell, he fell face first from a wheelchair that was not his! He had a special one made to tip back because he always leaned so far forward so he wouldn't fall out when being transported. By the time the "top" daughter in charge was willing to listen, it was too late.

He was on his death bed from a 2 week long misdiagnosis too late to fix - partially collapsed lung, excessive fluid retention, and no pain management. I had to tell the RN he needed his pain med - morphine preferably and where is his atropine because he is aspirating. Her answer? Good idea - I'll let the doctor know to write a prescription right away. Really??? I'm only a certified nurses aide telling an RN what he needs? (I was going to school for lpn at the time - done now and graduated waiting to take my boards.) He never got the pain med he needed as scheduled. All of this portion took place at the hospital which is attached to the nursing home - or used to be until recently. Now the hospital is a brand new one across the highway from Lake Michigan and cost millions of dollars to build. Can sue but it comes down to "he was old considering the current expected life span" so the case would be thrown out. Complaints were filed with the state though for what its worth. Grandma's death was caused by natural causes though. She had copd really bad. A year later and I am still angry with this hospital and nursing home. I'm angry too for the family not listening to me. I've spent the past 6 years working specifically with the geriatric population. With working in home health & hospice I've learned so much. I just wish they would have listened and put their differences aside. :( Yes, I'd have given anything to have had them home. It would have taken the family working together to make it doable which is something they were not willing to do.
_________________________-

THANKS for "telling-the TRUTH" about this CRAP !

-ReTIRED-
P.S. I doubt that MY children think OR consider what "sacrifices" that I made for them. But, it doesn't bother me at all....I didn't realize THAT either...until I was about 15 years old. NOT MY regret. Maybe (maybe not) THEIR regret. I dunno.
...and I really don't give a hoot in wherever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Charolais are good beef cattle. We raised one last year and have been enjoying good home raised beef since January. Had misquote grilled Charolais T-bone steaks tonight. Yummy! Don't think they are any good for milking, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
reTIRED - not all places are that bad but this place was. It is one of the only nursing homes in that area so they have a monopoly really. There is one that I would be happy to work at even which is the place I'd hoped to see my grandparents go to. Did 7 weeks of clinic at this other place and had a relative there for a couple years. Care she received was great. Scary to think that we all some day will not be able to care for ourselves so our end years are a fate left to family - if we have any.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts