Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I bought 8 cornish cross. Within a couple of weeks, I noticed one wasn't a CC. It wasn't growing as fast, and as the birds started featheting out, I could tell she was a buff orpington. About 4 weeks ago, I tried seperating her from the cornish.
At that time my cornish were in a corner of my coop, sectioned off by a piece of cage wire.
She did nothing but cry and pace back and forth along the divider.
After a few hours of trying to give her time to adjust, i gave up and put her back with the cornish.
Fast forward a few weeks.... The cornish now have a pen, about 16 by 24 in the corner of my 75 by 80 chicken pen. Buffy is still with the cornish.
The other chickens and Buffy can see each other at all times.
Knowing I would be processing my meat birds today, I started putting a few of my other, similar age birds, in with them for short periods of time, and turning Buggy out into the main pen at times. I hoped this would ease her transition.
I was wrong. I butchered my cornish today, and put Buffy out with the other birds today. All seemed fine unrolled bed time. The other birds all retired to the coop, she didn't. She kept pacing along the fence to the cornish pen. I put her in the. Coop 3 times, but she keeps coming out and right to the pen divider.
What should I do?

Note: please excuse any typos, I am posting from my "smart" phone and auto correct has a mind of its own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add what the rest of my "flock" consists of, if it matters.
I have about 30 red sex links, about a year or so old. 3 leghorns, same age. 5 ameracaunas, 7 barred rocks, all about 7 weeks old. 8 cinnamon queens, around 9 weeks. A buff orpington rooser and 5 hens all about 2 to 3 years old. And a handful of misc chickens. Also 7 leghorns still in a brooding box.
Yes, I am a chick-a-holic, lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, could have been, but I bought 28 more week old chicks a few days ago, and sold 6 older hens and a rooster, and then picked up a pair of roosters. I also have 2 turkeys and 2 guineas.

I should update, it took a few days, but Buffy seems to have accepted her new "family" and is doing fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts