Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I don’t know too much about chickens. I have a two day old buff Brahma chicken and when they stand and preen they seem to be having a hard time balancing and are a little bit shaky sometimes. They can still walk and jump and they don’t have any issues with their feet. Is this just a baby chicken thing?

· Registered
442 Posts
I can't tell based on your post, is this your only chick? If so, then you'll really want to get her a buddy or two. Chickens do best with their own kind as company.

If you have other chicks as well, are they doing it, too, or just this one chick? If it's only this one chick, then it might be cause for concern... but if they're acting fine otherwise, I'm not sure there's much that can be done to change it. Chicks do normally seem a bit wobbly on their feet in the first week or so of life. I refer to it as baby bobbles. They haven't gotten their land legs just yet so they wobble a bit while trying to balance. 🥰 By the time they're a week or two old, they're pretty stable and don't bobble so much anymore.

Here are some of my Cochin bantams last year, around a day old and younger. The wobbles you see in this video are totally normal, so if this is what you're seeing, your baby is probably just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts