Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the little giant still air incubator? It is currently on sale at TSC and my husband is cheap and says he will buy me this one.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Then you know best. But my experience is that when you get something less expensive than what you really want then you're never satisfied and you wind up spending twice as much. In my life, that's proven to be true. That may not be true for you. Now, I wait. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Banned
825 Posts
The Little Giant incubator will work FINE if you make a couple of simple mocifications (additions).
1. Put a LARGE knob on the stem that adjusts temperature....so that you can make smaller adjustments.
A knob from an old radio will probably work well...that's what I used.
2. Add a fan from an old computer to circulate the air....IF you are buying the "still-air" type of Little Giant.
( a GOOGLE-SEARCH for "Little Giant Incubator and Computer Fan" will probably get you some Simple Instructions on
HOW to do this EASY modification. LOOK at more than one set of instructions ! )

ALSO an "automatic egg-turner" is helpful....BUT those will cost more money.

Hint # 1: Keep your incubator in a room that has a STABLE temperature and relatively stable humidity.
Hint # 2: Once you get things "set-up" the way you should.....Don't "fool-with-it". You'll do better that way.

just MY opinion.
ReTIRED

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Retired. I will keep that in mind.

I wasn't trying to ignore everyone else's advise or being just plain old stubborn but trying to make the best of a situation.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Make those simple modifications AND after a try or two....you'll learn the little quirks of a STYROFOAM incubator.
Don't expect miracles on your FIRST attempt at incubating. BUT...read-up on it.
TRY the "dry-incubation method" !

ReTIRED

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have a Little Giant from TSC. It works just fine once its calibrated . When it comes to chickens its just fine to keep it simple. you dont have to spend an arm and a leg on equiptment like some people suggest. Heck you can make a homemade incubator and that would work just fine too. Just remember once you set the temp leave it alone ! Adjusting it during the hatch will mess up the temps worse than leaving it. Make sure your temp is set for a day or 2 before placing your eggs. And run it dry for a good day to see what your humidity is without adding water. Then go from there.

My first 2 hatches were not great, but then I got the help from someone who has been incubating huge amounts for many years I havnt had an issue yet .

·
Registered
839 Posts
ReTIRED said:
Make those simple modifications AND after a try or two....you'll learn the little quirks of a STYROFOAM incubator.
Don't expect miracles on your FIRST attempt at incubating. BUT...read-up on it.
TRY the "dry-incubation method" !

ReTIRED
I am in the midst of my first attempt at incubating. I was talked into trying the dry method by a local who hatches hundreds with this method. Wish me luck!

·
Banned
825 Posts
I am in the midst of my first attempt at incubating. I was talked into trying the dry method by a local who hatches hundreds with this method. Wish me luck!
GOOD LUCK !!!

....and DON'T be disappointed IF your first attempt is not very successful. Keep Notes AND analyze the potential errors/mistakes. THEN...you will do much better on the SECOND TRY.

WHO KNOWS ? You MIGHT have a very good hatch on your 1st try !
I think it is important to weigh the eggs -and mark them and/or KEEP a LOD-BOOK......weigh at beginning...at 7 days...at 10 days and at "Lockdown"-18 days. Watch and Mark the "Air-Bubble" when you candle!
Your eggs SHOULD LOSE about 14 % of their weight during the first 18 days of incubation. ( A permanent "Magic-Marker" won't hurt your eggs....OR you can just use a #2 pencil. )
NOTE: I wouldn't be concerned about Humidity during the first 18 days....as long as it's over 30% and LESS THAN 60 %.
......on "LOCKDOWN"....raise the HUMIDITY to around 65% to 70%. to prevent the chicks from sticking to the shell.

DON'T "fool-with" the incubator as long as the temperature/ humidity STAYS within the Limits on AVERAGE each day. IF the temp is averaging slightly BELOW 100*F....the hatch will be a little LATE......IF the temp is averaging a little ABOVE 99*F...the hatch might be a little EARLY.

again....Keep a LOG -Diary- throughout the process....so that YOU have something to analyze at the end of your incubation.
also AGAIN....GOOD LUCK !!! ( I think that you have "Chosen Wisely" to use the "Dry Incubation Method". A LOT of the "problems" with 1st Time incubations results from DROWNING the embryos with TOO MUCH HUMIDITY. Momma-Hen doesn't drown her eggs ! ) :D
:)
-ReTIRED-

·
Banned
825 Posts
Jeremysbrinkman,

WHILE you have your "fingers-crossed"....check around for a used FAN from an old "non-working" Desktop Computer to install in your "Still-Air" styrofoam incubator. You can probably get one for FREE. (There are a LOT of them just "sitting-around".)
The FAN will help keep your temperatures consistant in all areas inside your incubator. You won't have the "hot" and cold" SPOTS that you will encounter with a "Still-Air" incubator. AND it's a simple job to install. (Recommended: an "air-deflector" made from the lid of a large Coffee Can.) You can find instructions for installations....by doing Google Searches.

Happy Hatching !!! :)
-ReTIRED-

·
Banned
162 Posts
Personally, I would save your money and get a Hovabator. I found the Little Giant I bought back when I was first getting into chickens to be a total waste of time, energy and money. Don't bother. (With all due respect to ReTIRED, of course.)

·
Registered
839 Posts
ReTIRED said:
GOOD LUCK !!!

....and DON'T be disappointed IF your first attempt is not very successful. Keep Notes AND analyze the potential errors/mistakes. THEN...you will do much better on the SECOND TRY.

WHO KNOWS ? You MIGHT have a very good hatch on your 1st try !
I think it is important to weigh the eggs -and mark them and/or KEEP a LOD-BOOK......weigh at beginning...at 7 days...at 10 days and at "Lockdown"-18 days. Watch and Mark the "Air-Bubble" when you candle!
Your eggs SHOULD LOSE about 14 % of their weight during the first 18 days of incubation. ( A permanent "Magic-Marker" won't hurt your eggs....OR you can just use a #2 pencil. )
NOTE: I wouldn't be concerned about Humidity during the first 18 days....as long as it's over 30% and LESS THAN 60 %.
......on "LOCKDOWN"....raise the HUMIDITY to around 65% to 70%. to prevent the chicks from sticking to the shell.

DON'T "fool-with" the incubator as long as the temperature/ humidity STAYS within the Limits on AVERAGE each day. IF the temp is averaging slightly BELOW 100*F....the hatch will be a little LATE......IF the temp is averaging a little ABOVE 99*F...the hatch might be a little EARLY.

again....Keep a LOG -Diary- throughout the process....so that YOU have something to analyze at the end of your incubation.
also AGAIN....GOOD LUCK !!! ( I think that you have "Chosen Wisely" to use the "Dry Incubation Method". A LOT of the "problems" with 1st Time incubations results from DROWNING the embryos with TOO MUCH HUMIDITY. Momma-Hen doesn't drown her eggs ! ) :D
:)
-ReTIRED-
Well, I am happy to report that I have 20 out of 22 fertile eggs hatched. Pretty successful for a first time. This was very lucky I know. Especially since I did a lot of things 'wrong'.

·
Banned
825 Posts
well, i am happy to report that i have 20 out of 22 fertile eggs hatched. Pretty successful for a first time. This was very lucky i know. Especially since i did a lot of things 'wrong'.
very very good !!! :d

·
Banned
825 Posts
Personally, I would save your money and get a Hovabator. I found the Little Giant I bought back when I was first getting into chickens to be a total waste of time, energy and money. Don't bother. (With all due respect to ReTIRED, of course.)
APPARENTLY....a "Little Giant" incubator is NOT "a total waste of time, energy and money."

Ha-Ha ! ( with all due respect....I just couldn't resist. ) :D

just for FUN ! :)
Ha-Ha !
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
839 Posts
I didnt get the little giant, I have a farm innovator. But they look the same. And guess what, make it 21!!!! Had a late hatcher. But they are all doing well.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I didnt get the little giant, I have a farm innovator. But they look the same. And guess what, make it 21!!!! Had a late hatcher. But they are all doing well.
CONGRATULATIONS !!! :D
( Perhaps YOU could provide ME with some lessons ? OR let me borrow your "Good Luck Charm" ? ) :confused:
Ha-Ha !!! :)
ReTIRED-

·
Registered
839 Posts
ReTIRED said:
CONGRATULATIONS !!! :D
( Perhaps YOU could provide ME with some lessons ? OR let me borrow your "Good Luck Charm" ? ) :confused:
Ha-Ha !!! :)
ReTIRED-
Haha, thanks. I am still high in adrenalin, how crazy is that? I thought I had killed them all more than once. I need to figure out what that good luck charm is so I don't loose it. Now, what to do with all these chicks. I am only keeping a couple....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts