Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my many hobbies is homemade lip products! I actually just started a couple days ago and it's addicting!

·
174 Posts
That sounds like fun! There are so many chemicals (crap) in the store bought lip balms. At least you can control what goes into it and what you want it to smell like. Check out Radishgirl Thymes blog, she makes lip balms too. You could sell them on Etsy too! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could sell them, but they aren't the best as I just started doing this. I have to practice a couple other times. It's still fun to do though! :D I think I'll check out her blog

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I love making my own! My husband can lose his lipbalm, from his pocket just by walking across the living room. I started making them just because it's cheaper than buying so he has plenty when he loses them.

My daughter has done her own thing with her hair for years, she reads and experiments. I finally did one of her hair treatments last week and I'm amazed at how silky my horrid straw-like hair feels. I usually knot up within an hour of combing through my hair, but I went a full 5 days with minor tangles. It was nothing more than a mixture of an egg, oils and honey. I sat with this slime on my head for 2 hours and then washed and conditioned as usual. Wow!! The difference is amazing.

I have made soap for more than 10 years and I started learning about skin healing herbs many years back to heal an eczema on my hand. I used a mixture of weeds harvested from my front yard and in 6 months my hand was eczema free for the first time in 20 years. I now make a salve (very similar to homemade lip balm) with oils from these weeds and use that to keep my skin elastic, especially through the dry winter months.

I now have a growing herb garden as well as wild harvest areas. I don't know many people who grow burdock on purpose! But as a plant it is lovely, very much like a huge hosta, but you just have to watch out for those seeds! :)

I have never made a homemade shampoo bar that I can use on my hair, I'm still experimenting. But, I have found a few natural bases that I want to try. It would completely remove us from the beauty product grid. Hair conditioner as well.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I love my herbs and all my homemade products!!!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Roslyn, what's the treatment for eczema? I have a friend who has s very bad case, and two other friends with small patches. A holistic treatment would be outstanding.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Ok. But I'd think that would be sticky all by itself, no? I'm thinking some essential oils added would take down the sticky a bit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe try olive oil instead of essential oil? And covered/wrapped overnight?

I've not tried using it, but am about to experiment with it since my daughter now has a patch close to her mouth. I definitely don't want to use her steroid cream there!

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Roslyn, what's the treatment for eczema? I have a friend who has s very bad case, and two other friends with small patches. A holistic treatment would be outstanding.
I used common weeds. Plaintain, comfrey, burdock and yarrow. In the beginning I would just take the leaf and smoosh it up until it was juicy and schmear it on my hand. It turned my skin green and weird, but I just didn't care. I have plaintain, burdock and yarrow in my yard, and I planted comfrey.

I then took the same plants and infused them in olive oil for a month or two. I just dip a spoon into the oils and schmear them on my hands, then I wrapped a cotton towel around my hand until the oils soaked in. I did this twice a day.

Now I take these oils and melt some beeswax and add to the oils to make a solid balm, kind of like the burts bees product. I'll see how much I have (I'm out of yarrow oil, but I'm starting new this week) I should have enough oils on hand to make a small batch once the yarrow is ready.

I tried every product out there for psoriasis and eczema. Half my hand was constantly peeling, red, itchy, flaky and then the cracks were sometimes a quarter inch deep. I was in constant pain, and worse in the winter months. I gave up harsh cleaners and detergents and went all natural and nothing seemed to work. I read my first herb book and saw common weeds were used for skin healing and it wouldn't hurt to try. I get a dry patch every now and again, but my hand has full elasticity and you can't tell there was ever an issue. I wish I would have taken a photo of before and after, it was that amazing.

If you have these plants growing around you can just harvest your own, chop them up and pour olive oil over them in a clean jar. Add 1 Tbsp of vinegar to the top to prevent any microbes growing and set on the counter.

I have seen the yarrow coming up around my garden, but I don't see my burdock or plaintain yet. It's still a bit early here.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I have plaintain up everywhere. I'll have to look for the rest. Thank you!

Oh, have you watched Joe Cross in Fatsickandnearlydead? He cures his eczema by juicing. Also helps someone else do the same. FYI

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I have plaintain up everywhere. I'll have to look for the rest. Thank you!

Oh, have you watched Joe Cross in Fatsickandnearlydead? He cures his eczema by juicing. Also helps someone else do the same. FYI
Plaintain is the go to for bee stings, insect bites, cuts etc. It sucks out pain very fast. My husband was on a construction site and his work buddy cut himself. Hubbie went out in the parking lot and found plaintain growing in the cracks and mushed it up for him. He thought my husband was NUTS, but he put the goopy plant on the cut and then couldn't believe how fast the pain went. They went back to work, no ligament, no band aid. You could hardly see the cut by evening.

Plaintain and yarrow make a great combo with anything bloody. Yarrow will stop a heavy bleeder and plaintain takes the pain. Make sure you know the difference between yarrow leaves and hemlock before using. Yarrow grows dry, hemlock grows wet.

Yes, I have seen this movie. The Gerson Theory also juices organic veg and fruit for health. I have wanted to add juice to my diet, however the cost of the machine isn't in the stars for me. I stick with organic apples and carrots. I could eat a pile of carrots everyday!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
You don't have to get the best version. They have some pretty great juicers for $100 - $150. I'll look for the yarrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts