Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rodney was acting weird (again). Fluffed up in a corner, making weird noises so in he came (again). He didn't roost the night before and had a giant poop ball frozen around his bum so I gave him a good bath/blowdry. I left him in my powder room and went to the computer. I felt itchy on my arm and two little bitty bugs were crawling on me. Then I noticed a few more. Had a major freak out and went and did a thorough check of Rod and he is totally, utterly infested. I have had Rod in my house several times since I got him back in October. I quarantined him for five weeks. He's always been "off" but I have never, ever noticed these bugs on him before. However I didn't notice this time either until I felt them on my arm after the fact. I've taken frozen poop balls of his butt many times, examined him beak to tail many times but I guess I could have missed them. I've figured out how to treat and have treated all my flock. He's been in with the girls for two to three weeks now and there is not a single lice on any of them (I've treated them anyway, and I checked very thoroughly). He shared a coop with the boys for two months before that and I see that they all have lice too. My question is : where did they likely come from :

The new wheat straw bedding I bought a month ago

From Rod in the beginning

Any other source that could be a possibility??

After the first dose of medication, four hours later, I checked Rod again and he is covered in dead/dying lice. I certainly hope this gives him relief as I wanted to jump out of my skin with only a couple on my arm-I can't imagine being covered.

·
Administrator
22,101 Posts
Unfortunately the bugs are a fact of life with these guys. The only time I never worried about them was when my birds were on sand in their old coop. Two summers ago it was a never ending battle for me until I sprayed the outside of their building and the outside pens. Of course that's not the issue now but if you find you're constantly fighting them next year that might be worth a try.

If you can, you might want to give him some Rooster Booster to try to give him a kick start to building back up.

And right after I get done with my coffee I'm going out to treat mine since I saw signs when it was so cold yesterday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been able to treat and keep mites away with seven dust. I put a small amount in their best box on the floor and in the area I know they dust bath. Be careful with the amount used cause it's kills bugs on contact Meaning good insects butterfly's and bees coul be killed

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

·
Administrator
22,101 Posts
I don't like Sevin for several reasons. The biggest is that it makes Silkie feathers feel awful. Next, its using it so close to the respiratory systems of my birds. If they want us wearing masks to prevent us from inhaling it then how much are the birds inhaling?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.