Leg bands

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by kyliejo, May 15, 2018.

1. kyliejo

kyliejo New Member

What age should I start using the leg bands? Can I start them now? I just brought my RIRs home last night so they’re not very old.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I guess you could put them on any time. Just watch they don't become too tight as they grow.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Well-Known Member

I really like the plastic bandettes from Strombergs. They are easy to put on and even fit feathered legs. There are several different sizes, they don't require any pliers or anything to appply them :)

4. kyliejo

kyliejo New Member

What’s strombergs? Lol I was going to look on amazon, but wasn’t sure if I could do them yet

5. boskelli1571

Strombergs hatchery - they sell all sorts of leg bands etc. They have a reference chart so you can buy bands for your particular size of chicken. I don't band until they are adolescents.

Maryellen and Artemis_MA like this.
  6. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

I bought some bands from Amazon; they are supposed to snap on, and that's a thought... I should check to see if they will fit adult, non-bantam legs (um, I do have some chicken feet for making stock in my freezer...) I think they will, but it pays to verify.

boskelli1571 likes this.
  7. boskelli1571

I try to not buy from Amazon - they will eventually shut down every 'little guy' out there. They do make it hard tho'.....

Artemis_MA likes this.
  8. kyliejo

kyliejo New Member

I was thinking about checking Etsy. I think I had seen something on there with customized leg bands.

9. boskelli1571

Be careful of those 'charm' type leg bands, they can get caught in things and damage the chickens' leg....

chickenqueen likes this.
  10. kyliejo

kyliejo New Member

I was thinking about that. More looking for fun colors.

11. boskelli1571

Take a look at Strombergs site, they have several colors available.