Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My 9 month old silkies have laid 2 soft shelled eggs during this week! They actually ate most of the soft shell. They thought it was a treat! They also laid. 5 normal eggs! Very strange , I have been giving crushed oyster shells and they are eating layer food. I was told to add crushed egg shells for calcium..

Is there anything else you can recommend?

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I gave then crushed egg shells and they loved it! How often should I give it to them?

Advice is very welcome!!! Don't hold back!!!! Has anybody been in the same situation?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I haven't had any soft shells, yet. I think you have done what you need to. Just be sure they have access to calcium and they will take it when they need it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have they just started laying? If this is the case, it could just be a maturity problem. It would get better over time and silkies are notorious for being a little slow when it comes to egg laying. You could also give a water supplement with calcium and you could try some treats with calcium.

Nvm, I just saw the issue was resolved.

·
31 Posts
We keep calcium available in a separate feeder. in our area we can get oyster shell pretty cheap. we also save egg shells, i microwave them to cook them before I feed them back. i don't want them to get used to the taste of raw eggs:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you give them oyster shells? The calcoium in oyster R-E-A-L-L-Y hardens the eggs up

Sent from my iPad using Chicken Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts