Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our hens used to run like the wind when you would chase them or try to grab them.

The flock is currently around 8 months old and now they all just sit down when startled. They make no attempt to run, just go into a sitting position and hunker down.

Very curious reflex. Is that just a domesticated response or do wild chickens do that as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some of my layer hens do the same thing. They also do it when the rooster approaches them. I am not sure if they are submitting to me the way they do the rooster, but it would make sense. They see me as a part of the flock and as the top of the pecking order. They don't, however submit to my dog this way. They chase him off. LOL

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
It is submission. If they do it when they are scared, they are just giving up. You need a big mean nasty in there to guard them!!

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
My daughter was quite young when our first flock started doing this. It was so funny one day when she carried a hen into the kitchen and said "Mommy! They like me!! I just walked up and she stopped so I could pick her up!"

I didn't have the heart to try to explain to her what the hen was "expecting", she was just a tad too young.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is funny when they start doing it. They at one time run like crazy and then they just drop. We were driving one day and went by a wild turkey hen and she squatted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts