Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Brushy Creek Home
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just located this forum and this is my first post!
We are very excited about our flock of Mottled Lavender Orpingtons. I finally snapped some pics yesterday and thought I would share them here.
As far as we know, we have the only flock in the US.

Attachments

·
1,466 Posts
nice looking flock Bushycreek
we have inported english orpingtons
1 blue roo & 4 black hens
we are hoping to hatch out a few more for breeding stock this year

piglett

·
Brushy Creek Home
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice birds! Where did you get them?
We have regular Lavender Orpingtons that came from a blending of the two most prominent lines in the US.

As we began hatching from one of the breeding pens, we were getting an occasional mottled chick. So, it became clear that one of our roosters and one of our hens carried a recessive mottling gene....put these chicks together and you get a fully mottled lavender chick that WILL breed true.

Although, I've heard of a few others that have had one of these "sports" pop out, we don't think there is anyone else at this time that has bred them into a full flock that of visually mottled lavenders.

·
Brushy Creek Home
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, 7Chicks!
I just came in from locking them up. While they aren't quite as laid back as our B/B/S English, after dark they make the most contented "coo'ing" sound when I walk into their pen....almost reminds me of pigeons.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We have regular Lavender Orpingtons that came from a blending of the two most prominent lines in the US.

As we began hatching from one of the breeding pens, we were getting an occasional mottled chick. So, it became clear that one of our roosters and one of our hens carried a recessive mottling gene....put these chicks together and you get a fully mottled lavender chick that WILL breed true.

Although, I've heard of a few others that have had one of these "sports" pop out, we don't think there is anyone else at this time that has bred them into a full flock that of visually mottled lavenders.
How many generations have you bred so far Brushy???

·
Brushy Creek Home
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, we don't sell eggs, but we DO sell and ship day-old chicks.

We are NPIP and can ship to most states.

Hatch rates can be so poor with shipped eggs. We prefer to provide guaranteed chicks.

We are hatching some varieties starting in February and the mottled probably March.

Please visit our website: BrushyCreekHome.com

To watch for the announcement on when the mottleds are available, Like us on FB.

Thanks!

·
93 Posts
BrushyCreekHomeDOTcom said:
Hello! I just located this forum and this is my first post!
We are very excited about our flock of Mottled Lavender Orpingtons. I finally snapped some pics yesterday and thought I would share them here.
As far as we know, we have the only flock in the US.
Your birds are so pretty! Someday when I have more room and am able to get a few more birds, I'll have to look you up. Out of curiosity, what color eggs do they produce. I have two buff orps. Such friendly gals. One of mine is broody, she squawks a lot, but still really sweet tempered.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
lorindaeb said:
Your birds are so pretty! Someday when I have more room and am able to get a few more birds, I'll have to look you up. Out of curiosity, what color eggs do they produce. I have two buff orps. Such friendly gals. One of mine is broody, she squawks a lot, but still really sweet tempered.
I have noticed , out of all my gals, the buffs do like to announce the laying of an egg the loudest and longest.

·
93 Posts
jhabaa1 said:
I have noticed , out of all my gals, the buffs do like to announce the laying of an egg the loudest and longest.
Oh! This is sooooo true!!! My gals are terribly loud. I feel sorry for the neighbors! =)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts