Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The birds are learning, maybe not at the speed I would like but they are figuring things out. They know 100% there is no millet to be had outside of their coop.

They spent a couple of days in the trees a couple of different times. There was no access to food or millet except in the coop. They now know if they really really want it they have to go in.

I'm training them to the sound of the cup rattling when it's millet time. We'll see how long or if this works.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Good luck!!!The bugs will be gone soon and they will have to go in for food.Once mine started roosting in the trees,I couldn't get them to go in the coop.They disappeared one by one.I never got any more because I don't like the wildlife eating my birds.If you are successful with yours,I may consider them again.Keep us posted on the training.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If not for the neighbor's untrained bird none of this would be happening. They would be running to the back door in the evening to make sure I remembered to give them their millet. With my old flock I had several larger pans and would put millet in those in their coop. They would go to bed happy.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I love the new baby monitor. I set the sending part of up in the Guinea pen so I can hear when they come home. I bait the pen with millet during the day and keep an eye on whether they've been here or not.

Baited the pen about an hour ago, cranked the volume up on the monitor and listened to the chickens talking for a while. Then the new sound. The delighted sounds Guineas make when they discover millet. Door is closed for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Robin,I didn't know you had a baby monitor,too.I need to get another one for the goose house.I haven't heard much over mine lately,everybody is molting so no eggs/egg songs.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
When I was still raising chickens I used one. More for night time security after a snake got into a pen but the roosters crowing was an issue so I quit using it.

What I like about this newer one are the lights showing something is going on so that even when I don't have the volume up I can see. Problem is, it doesn't distinguish between a rooster's crow and something more troubling. Although it does show a Guinea girl buckwheating just by the pattern of the lights.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I like the lights,too.Dale turns it down in the morning because of the rooster crowing.I forget to turn it up until I see the lights going crazy.I've had mine for about a year and love it.It also lets me know when it comes unplugged by chirping.It was a good security investment.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't even remember where I got the idea to use the monitor. Did someone mention it or was I so desperate for more security I thought of it. That's how long ago I was using one. I guess sometimes we women thinking outside of the box has major benefits.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Things are progressing well with the birds. Even the neighbor's wild bird is getting with the program. A couple of days ago it was the keets in the lead coming home to eat and get their millet. This evening I could hear the birds off a ways. I started calling them to come home.

I wasn't in the house five minutes when I heard them over the monitor. So, they are learning to come when I call and know that their cocaine is waiting on them in the coop. I'm going to try to make it later before calling them in. We still have a couple of hours of daylight. What I want to see is them rushing up to the door when I step out and we just might get there yet.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I found a hatchery that doesn't make you buy 30 keets.They will ship a few keets with chicks as long as there are 25 total.I've noticed the bugs,especially ticks,have returned and multiplied since my guineas have been gone.They really did make a big difference in my yard.Robin,have you ever eaten the eggs(I didn't) or tried guinea(ditto)?I've read they are served in gourmet restaurants and are very tasty but a little gamey.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
No to both questions. I wanted to grow the flock. Couldn't do that and eat the eggs or birds.

What I did for genetic diversity was get 30 and sell half.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I understand.I want to try goose now but not MY geese.I'm not sure what I'll do once they start laying next spring.I'm not a big egg eater but I read they are sought after for baking and I like to bake.1 goose egg=2 chicken eggs.No goslings,though,I have enough and an order form for new chicken breeds.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
And that is why I said no to having cattle at our old place. I just could not put them on my table knowing I fed and cared for them. I know it would be different if I had to rely on them for sustenance but I don't have to so I won't put Herman on the table.

You know you could probably put fertile goose eggs up for sale or auction. I don't even know if there are any poultry auction sites left. I think all of it is being done on FB now.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
New families are moving in and there's more goats,horses and chickens than ever before.Maybe the neighbors would be interested.I'm the first on the block with geese and they get a lot of attention.They're the only bird I've had that comes running to see us like a dog and follows us just to be around us.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I read this when we were out the other day, had every intention of replying after I got home. Obviously, that didn't happen.

You and your geese is exactly why I have my Guineas. They are entertaining, pretty self reliant and like those who belong.

For those thinking of getting Guineas I have this update: I've been working on getting them to come when I call. If they answered my call there was millet in their pen waiting for them, if they didn't they got nothing.

Tonight they were a ways off, I called them and a few minutes later they showed up. They ran to me when I came outside but didn't follow me to their pen. I called them to the pen and all saw the millet and piled in. This is where I wanted them to be.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I totally agree and with the geese, we play and talk and swim.They have exceeded all of my expectations except weeding the garden,which they failed at miserably.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
You really do need a certain mind set to be able to adapt to the personalities of the game birds. Since I have never had geese I can only guess that they are more domesticated than the Guineas but have their moments when the wild genetics pop up.

Guineas are still very much the birds of Africa and 99% of the time behave that way.

The neighbor told me when he had a large flock of 20 another person's dogs showed up. His Guineas, as a flock, chased the dogs all the way back home. The neighbor could hear them way off and had to go retrieve them.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The Roman tufted were one of the first domesticated geese in Rome.History says they saved Rome from a midnight attack by alerting the Romans to intruders.They are really good watch dogs(better than my dog).And the Romans are biters,I got the bruises to prove it....:D

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Robin, someone who used to be close to us was the first time I heard about baby monitors. I have mine in the closet! The thing that interests me is a motion camera. I would love to see what goes on when I'm not around all night.

My fertile goose eggs never hatched for people so I stopped selling them.

Year before last, I went to visit the grandkids and brought a few goose eggs with me to give them something interesting. They ended up in the fridge, ignored.
My daughter and I go to pick up one grandkid. The oldest calls and asks if she can bake brownies. Fine. She calls back and says there's no eggs. I tell DD to tell her she can use the goose eggs. My daughter said uh-no. I said it's an egg and fine. Use one for the 2/3 that she needs. It took a discussion to finally to convince DD to convince grandkid to use the frikken egg. Brownies were great.

CQ, mine had a whole 1/2 acre of weeds and never even looked at it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yeah,I planned on using them for baking.I probably won't sell because that means communicating with people,which I try to avoid at all costs.It's nice to know shipping fertile eggs is iffy.I'm not sure and may never be sure,but I think I have 2 American females and 3 Roman females.They can lay 30-40 eggs in the spring.I wonder if they make extra large ice cube trays to freeze them.I'll have to check it out this winter.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts